Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cutlass supreme fuel issue?

glowinghamster45
01-10-2010, 03:26 PM
So i have a 95 cutlass supreme thats got about 170000 miles on it, and it was running relatively ok, up until the recent snow we had which seems to be bent on killing it.

It gets parked on a hill, and the night before it was really low on gas, i was planning on getting some the next morning. So i go outside the next morning and it was cold so i started it up and went back inside. I came back out a few minutes later, and the temp guage had risen slightly, but then when i put it into reverse, it just started rolling, because it had apparently turned off. so i put it in park, turned it all the way off, and restarted it, but when i did it started really hard and before I even had time to put it into reverse it just sputtered and died. Tried that several more times with the same result before i gave up for the morning. Thinking it was a frozen fuel line issue since it was so low, I got some gas in a can, put a couple gallons in it, got it over into the garage, and let it thaw out for 2 days, but im still getting the exact same result. So now the only thing I can think of is that the fuel pump is dead, but
1 - how did my car get warmed up in the morning? unless if it just died while it was running and
2 - i just replaced the pump not even 2 years ago. So id really hope that its not the issue, especially since i was planning on selling it and that pump isnt going to be cheap

this is driving me crazy, so any input anyone can offer on things i havent tried yet would be greatly appreciated.

glowinghamster45
01-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Another thing i forgot to mention, i HAVE been able to get it to start, however only by me sitting in the driver seat turning it on while my dad sprays starting fluid directly into it. and even then it will only stay on as long as hes spraying, then it just shudders and dies

bunchacrappyfords
01-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Sounds like there's no fuel getting to the engine. Search the forums for fuel pump testing and check the relays/fuses. Gas + spark = fire. If it's not firing, it's not getting one or the other. I'm leaning towards a fuel pump/filter issue. I'm just sayin'...
SAMSUNG-SGH-A177/A177UCIC3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Browser/6.2.3.3.c.1.101 (GUI) MMP/2.0 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0

glowinghamster45
01-10-2010, 03:44 PM
yea i checked the fuses and relays... relays were fine but strangely one of my accessory fuses was burned out? i went ahead and replaced it but obviously it didnt fix anything. havent gotten to check the filter even though i doubt thats the issue but i was planning on taking a look at it. only thing is apparently its inside of the actual tank, so im betting its going to be a pain to take a look at but so far every possibility left seems to be looking that way. Dont have time to take all that apart right at this second but ill post if i find anything when i do

Marc B
02-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Since you were low on fuel, you could have some water frozen, or picked up crap from the bottom of the tank.
Save yourself some money and go to the el-cheapo drug store, buy a bottle of 91% Isopropyl alcohol. Put half the bottle in the tank. (Save the rest for some other time, or to defrost frozen door locks)
Its much cheaper than the couple ounces of isopropyl the car stores sell for overinflated prices. You CAN get other percentages, like 70% but stick with the 91%, and put in some fresh fuel in too.
GL

Add your comment to this topic!