Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to time a 13b???

hckfn69
01-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Got 87 rx7 to fix to have some fun but wont start.
i hear the fuel pump gas is going to the motor, the plugs are firering but i think the problem is the timing is the timing only the cap that you move left and right? help please!

Triznox
01-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Got 87 rx7 to fix to have some fun but wont start.
i hear the fuel pump gas is going to the motor, the plugs are firering but i think the problem is the timing is the timing only the cap that you move left and right? help please!

Don't touch the timing.

Are the plugs new? They will fire but not necessarily fire well. RX-7s are extremely sensitive to weak plugs. Get new NGKs only and try that. Make sure the battery is plenty good as well, it needs the cranking amps.

There is also a good chance it is good and flooded from trying unsucessfully to start it. These cars will not unflood themselves, and will be a real bitch to start. May not start at all until you manually de-flood it. If you have a 5-speed manual the easiest thing to do it tow start it in 2nd gear.

hckfn69
01-17-2010, 12:05 PM
No the plugs aren't new, it almost started a couple days ago but it fluds every time it dosen't start . hows the best way to unflud? does the heat on the plugs realy care like 7 or 9's?

Triznox
01-17-2010, 02:40 PM
No the plugs aren't new, it almost started a couple days ago but it fluds every time it dosen't start . hows the best way to unflud? does the heat on the plugs realy care like 7 or 9's?

NGK bur7eq and bur9eq are good ones to use for an NA. Plugs marked with a T are trailing (top), and the L's are the leading plugs (or lower).
If the plugs come out wet after trying to start its probably good and flooded.
The easy way I've got them going before is by pull starting.
The harder way is to turn it over without the plugs in. If you do that be very careful, cause gas clouds will come out the spark plug holes. I've never had a fire but do it outside and have something handy for fires. You will want to unplug all the wires going to the spark plug coils so they don't fire and ignite the gas. You will also want to disable the fuel pump so it doesn't keep adding gas to the engine. Then turn it over without the spark plugs until you don't see any more gas clouds. Reassemble and try it with a freshly charged battery.

hckfn69
01-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Ya the plugs comes out really wet, ive tryed the ATF automatic tranny fluid in the plug holes, for 24h then reassembled and it came the closest to start, smoke came out from the muffler but didnt go! plugs are really old, but they all fire. the wirering are good.

hckfn69
01-18-2010, 05:35 PM
:smooch:it finally started today, it was running really rough dough! First theres no exhaust system, second i didnt put the right plugs in them cause they cost alot and right now i dont have cash, but i put brand new other plugs and it started but i could guess that thats the reason or one reason its running rough like that it dosent have all its power, and theres probably some sensors or some stuff like that that isint working thats making it rough... :smooch:

slideways...
01-21-2010, 08:23 PM
:smooch:it finally started today, it was running really rough dough! First theres no exhaust system, second i didnt put the right plugs in them cause they cost alot and right now i dont have cash, but i put brand new other plugs and it started but i could guess that thats the reason or one reason its running rough like that it dosent have all its power, and theres probably some sensors or some stuff like that that isint working thats making it rough... :smooch:

lol i hope your engine is still good. you cant use just any plugs in this motor.

http://www.optionsauto.com/images/ngk-eqp.gif
this is what the stock plugs look like (the left closeup one). if you use anything else besides these im not sure how much damage can result but i cant see how it would be good at all.

hckfn69
01-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Well the motor seems to go still kinda good! it dosen't seem like it makes it go bad! the only thing is that the plugs i put in dont make enough fire so the motor don't run perfectely! thx for your help!

Add your comment to this topic!