1998 Dodge grand caravan wont go into reverse??

princessanona
01-07-2010, 11:04 AM
I have had no problems or no eveidence that anything was wrong with my tranny. I was in a driveway with a steep hill the other day and tried to go into reverse the shifter was really hard to shift and after I shifted into reverse i pushed the gas and nothing... It goes smooth into all gears except reverse. Please help any advice would be great!!

Thanks!

Cntrysthbst
01-11-2010, 02:30 PM
cant help much but in the future when you park on a hill keep your foot on the brake and shift into neutral then set the park brake and shift into park, and if parking brake is weak or not working you'll need help in getting someone to rock the van while you try shifting out of park, rocking meaning pushing up the grade/hill, not sideways. you can hook a tow rope up to it and have it pulled and or call a tow truck. When rocking it and its making uphill movement alittle apply the brake and check it, being you cant shift out of park unless you apply the brake, or try pushing the brake alittle and holding alittle pressure on shifter going into reverse while someone is rocking it, hope this helps down the road. When you have the transmission checked out, maybe have them inspect the transmission/motor mounts cause may have damaged them too..

Add your comment to this topic!