Buying new car- Advice needed.

ag82
01-07-2010, 04:05 AM
Hello guys I am planing to buy a car in the coming months and I am confused as to which car to buy. I dont know anything about the cars as I am now driving Corolla 1996. My budget is around 20k -24k. And I am looking for a car that looks best( i like sporty looking cars) and has atleast average fuel efficiency also will be driving car in extreme cold winters of north . I was thinking of Hyundai Genesis Coupe... Is it worth while buying or is there any other car suggested.... Please help me ...

akboss
01-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Welcome to the site!

From what I hear the Genesis Coupe is an excellent car, but from my own personal experience (and there are a select few who adamently disagree with me) that if you plan on driving in snow/ice, you will want either FWD or AWD, not RWD. The problem with a RWD car is that there is no weight on the drive wheels, and while it isn't impossible, winter driving does become more difficult.

So, FWD/AWD that is good looking for $24K. Are you talking $24K all-in, after taxes and destination? That will put you in a different category than a $24K MSRP.

If you don't mind taller vehicles, you could get into something like the new Mazda CX-7 which now starts at $22,700 thanks to Ford dropping in the corporate 2.5L 4-banger. There are similar vehicles, like the Nissan Rogue or freshly designed 2010 Hyundai Tucson. But if you're like me and you prefer cars, your options are much greater. Here's a few that are style-savvy:

1) Mazda3 or Mazda6
2) Nissan Altima 2.5 Coupe (or sedan)
3) VW Golf
4) Kia Forte Koup (under-budget)
5) Honda Civic SI or base-model Accord Coupe
6) Volvo C30 (top end of budget, but well-built car)

If you want practicality with style, the Altima Coupe is a good size for 4 passengers, sporty, efficient, affordable and reliable...can't really go wrong.

MagicRat
01-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Good advice.
Also, if you have never bought a new car before, look on-line for advice on new car purchase and negotiation techniques. Unfortunately, the auto sales industry relies on a variable pricing format, where customer knowledge and skill are required to avoid paying too much for a new car.

Also, get a set of 4 snow tires on a second set of rims (basic steel rims are fine) for real winter use. All-season tires simply are not as good on the snow and ice.

Shpuker
01-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Alright, my turn :)

Kia sucks balls and is hella unreliable

Honda sucks balls but is very reliable

I hate Volvo but to be honey I don't have any real reasons other than they look boring:P

if your looking cars,
3-5 year old merc, BMW, or Audi, awd and diesel is an option here
1-2 year old Chrysler 300c for awd and some decent luxury
if you look at the golf look for a TDI
the rx-7 is sposed to be a good car, fun aswell

be easier if we knew what style of car you like :D

MagicRat
01-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Alright, my turn :)

Kia sucks balls and is hella unreliable

Honda sucks balls but is very reliable

I hate Volvo but to be honey I don't have any real reasons other than they look boring:P

if your looking cars,
3-5 year old merc, BMW, or Audi, awd and diesel is an option here
1-2 year old Chrysler 300c for awd and some decent luxury
if you look at the golf look for a TDI
the rx-7 is sposed to be a good car, fun aswell

be easier if we knew what style of car you like :D

Where did you get this??? :)

Most Kias are great for reliability. So says Consumer Reports back in November.

From this report (click here) (http://www.autoinsane.com/2009/10/27/news/business-finance/consumer-reports-2009-reliability-survey-ford-fusion-tops-honda-accord-and-toyota-camry/) :Hyundai and Kia continue to make reliable cars. The Hyundai Elantra and Tucson, and the Kia Sportage get top marks. The new Hyundai Genesis V6 is better than average; the V8 version is average. Only Kia’s Sedona minivan and Sorento SUV score below average.

Now, if you read that report, you will notice the European brands and Chrysler that you suggest all have relatively poor reliability and most of their models from them fare worse than average.

And the RX-7 is small, yet gets horrible fuel mileage for its size. And the last generation were very fragile. It is a performance car only but does not stand up to daily use, especially in rougher conditions.

akboss
01-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Once again, thanks to the broken record ShPuker, we can delve into why BMW's blow goats for reliability, and Kia is a solid buy for longevity. So according to the former, Kia is "balls and is hella unreliable", but highly recommended is "3-5 year old merc, BMW, or Audi, awd and diesel is an option here, 1-2 year old Chrysler 300c for awd and some decent luxury"

In a recent study of reliability by MotorAuthority, studying over 450,000 vehicles from USA and UK, found the following in terms of mechanical failures per 100 vehicles. Let's take some excerpts:

#1 - Mazda, 8.04%
#5 - Kia, 17.39%
#7 - Nissan, 18.86%

and way, way down...

#18 - BMW, 28.64%
#20 - Mercedes, 29.90%
#26 - Chrysler, 34.90%
#27 - Audi, 36.74%

So, yes, if you want to set your money on fire you can buy a badge instead of a car, get a BMW or Mercedes. But if you want what you described in your post, and a reliable car that makes the top-10, you could refer to my original list...

Check the whole list here:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1028009_german-cars-beaten-by-kia-in-reliability

Shpuker
01-07-2010, 01:00 PM
http://www.kiareports.com/webopinion/x101688507_kia-sorento-2009-most-unreliable-vehicle-ever
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0908_2009_kia_forte_sx_review/index.html
Ill get some more if you want

akboss
01-07-2010, 01:35 PM
http://www.kiareports.com/webopinion/x101688507_kia-sorento-2009-most-unreliable-vehicle-ever
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0908_2009_kia_forte_sx_review/index.html
Ill get some more if you want

Well, your first link was to a random user review of a Sorento, and the useful link you posted from MotorTrend quotes this:

"Aimed squarely at the highly successful Toyota Corolla, the Forte brings more high-tech features to the table, along with slightly better fuel economy, comparable or better prices and a better warranty. The only question left is whether or not the new kid on the block will be able to steal sales away from the veteran. We’d advise Toyota to pay attention, because there’s a good chance of that happening."

So, uhhh...what's your point? The data is clear, problems per hundred it's twice as reliable as any of your Germans, period.

ag82
01-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Thank you all for your advice ....
@akboss my budget is total 24k and that too I will be financing a car because I dont have lot of money... So want to buy a car that doesnt give me a monthly installment of more than 400$.
As you rightly said that I have taste similar to yours that a car which has sporty looks and a coupe style plus runs good.....

I am also ready to buy a used car if that is a good option. But I have heard financing a used car is more expensive then a new car... So I am confused ...

I just know that I want to buy a car that gives me a monthly installment of 400$( I can only give 3000$ as down payment) and has sporty looks mostly a coupe model and I can use it in winters of north with lots of snow...
I am sorry for my amateurish but I dont have much idea about cars....

MagicRat
01-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Thank you all for your advice ....
@akboss my budget is total 24k and that too I will be financing a car because I dont have lot of money... So want to buy a car that doesnt give me a monthly installment of more than 400$.
As you rightly said that I have taste similar to yours that a car which has sporty looks and a coupe style plus runs good.....

I am also ready to buy a used car if that is a good option. But I have heard financing a used car is more expensive then a new car... So I am confused ...

I just know that I want to buy a car that gives me a monthly installment of 400$( I can only give 3000$ as down payment) and has sporty looks mostly a coupe model and I can use it in winters of north with lots of snow...
I am sorry for my amateurish but I dont have much idea about cars....

Definitely go for a sporty front wheel drive coupe or sedan. Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Honda, Hyundai and Ford all make good ones with very good reliability.

GM is worth a look, too GM models are competitive in terms of performance and reliability. They may not be the best-in-class but often sell for a bit less than the Japanese makes, so you get more value for money.

I like Volkswagen but they get poor reviews for quality and reliability.

When you settle on a couple of models check the insurance rates. Some makes or models may cost more to insure that others, which will afeect your monthly operating costs.

Next. shop at a couple of dealerships and see what kind of prices you get. Some makes discount their cars more than others.

Also, do not finance through the dealer if possible and NEVER bargain in terms of monthly rates. Negotiate in terms of the overall cost only. Sales people often use this kind of information against the buyer, to get more money out of them.

akboss
01-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Good advice on the insurance, I was going to mention that. A few more things...

I'm shopping for a car for my wife within a $300/month budget and it seems that, if you're open to getting something a few years older, used is the best option. Even if you pay an increased interest rate, that interest rate is on a much lower number than if you bought a new car. Pile on top of that the massive depreciation on your new car, and if anything goes bust and you need to get rid of your vehicle, you're going to owe more than the car is worth - a simple principle called being 'upside down' on your investment. So you're paying monthly on a $24,000 car and you have to sell it for $18,000, it happens and it sucks, you don't want to be there. If you buy a car that is 3 years old, most of the depreciation has hit, the car is usually still in great shape, your insurance will be lower, and typically you can afford a nicer car (or take a vacation!)

Cars are built well today, and there is no reason to fear buying an out-of-warranty vehicle as long as it has reasonable service rates and common parts. Anything from a domestic manufacturer or common import (Civic, Camry, Altima, etc.) has cheap parts available anywhere - if you get into more expensive imports, you will be looking at importing custom parts and lots of electronic gadgets that can be costly fixes.

Play around with this loan calculator from a Canadian bank - I'm sure you can find some U.S. ones on google, but this is the first I found:

http://www4.bmo.com/popup/loans/Calculator.html

For a quick idea, I did the following:
1) New car, $22,000 financed 60 mo. @ 1.9% = $384.65/month
2) Used car, $15,000 financed 60 mo. @ 6% = $289/month

My advice, save $100/month, get a nice car that's 3 years old, save your money. As much as I love cars they are a horrible investment that do nothing but depreciate. Buy the cheapest car you will be *happy* with (being happy is important!), and save the rest. After 5 years, your $100/month you saved will now be worth $6,500 - you still have a good car, use the $$$ to pay down on a better car or treat yourself to something special.

ag82
01-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the advice.. Actually I am confused between all the companies you mentioned.. All cars look the same to me... I like the sporty models of all these cars... But confused which is the best one... Hyundai I like genesis( but thst RWD). Nissan I like Altima coupe . Mazda I like MAzda3 and 6 and also Miata..... Honda I like Accord coupe...
Basically I am a confused person.. roaming arround to find some answers....

ag82
01-07-2010, 02:53 PM
@akboss I think thats a very good advice from your side. I was in favor of buying a used one but some friend of mine said its not a good investment and in the end you pay more than the new one.....
so droped the idea of buying used one, but your calculation seems good to me.... But do you think a 3 years old car had some good sporty models... because I saw the change in models designing in the recent years only....

So if you could suggest some good models ( you already know my taste sporty looks )... which would be good after 3 years and will remain in good condition for another 3-4 . And where should I look for the used cars... Should I go to local dealers or should I look online?????

akboss
01-07-2010, 03:18 PM
For used cars the price can vary and seeing is believing. Look online to gge your price, do a search on autotrader and find what you think seems to be a fair price/mileage combo. Then start shopping local dealers with that price in mind, and if they can't match it, you may have to travel a little further out but you'll find something.

Make sure you have a trusted mechanic look at the car. Signs of wear are pretty obvious on used vehicles - is it polished? Is the engine clean? stains on seats? There are lots of guides out there to used car buying etiquette. But basically give your local dealer the price you want to pay, if he says no, don't be afraid to walk away...I've done it before, the guy wouldn't let me leave the door and dropped $1,000 on his price.

As far as cars go, stick to the original list. If you like the newer body styles, shop the 1-year-old cars, you can still save a few thousand. For someone like you that is just searching, the best thing you can do is drive as many cars as you can. Try and find a wholesale used car dealer that has like 100+ cars on the lot, drive 4 or 5, get a feel for what you like. The looks of one car may strike you but you might prefer how another one feels on the road.

Best of luck!
Let us know what you end up with...

ag82
01-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Thank you so much for helping me out so much on this stuff. I now have an idea and will keep on searching and reading more on the forums so that I have got good knowledge of how to go about buying a car.... think its a big huge process....

Shpuker
01-07-2010, 09:43 PM
lol, didn't actually have time to read the whole link till now :rofl:

Well I'm not gona try to recover from that lol, good luck with your car searching.

Ray paulsen
01-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the advice.. Actually I am confused between all the companies you mentioned.. All cars look the same to me... I like the sporty models of all these cars... But confused which is the best one... Hyundai I like genesis( but thst RWD). Nissan I like Altima coupe . Mazda I like MAzda3 and 6 and also Miata..... Honda I like Accord coupe...
Basically I am a confused person.. roaming arround to find some answers....

I fully understand your frustration being a confused person looking for answers, but give it time some experts are still on New Year holidays, like " wafrederick " when he returns with answers you will be going in a new direction.

akboss
01-08-2010, 10:59 AM
One last benefit to used cars - the trim levels. When you're buying a new car, they want all kinds of money for options like sunroof, leather, navigation, etc. When you buy used, this almost disappears. I was (and still am) looking at an early 2000's Toyota Avalon - the base model MSRP'd for $25K, the XLS model for $30K. Shopping used the difference is on average about $500-1000 - so you're getting top features for much less than the original package.

dab1123
01-08-2010, 03:46 PM
If it were me, I'd go with a sporty Cross-over FWD SUV.
Either the Chevrolet Equinox or the Toyota Matrix.

Ray paulsen
01-08-2010, 03:56 PM
One last benefit to used cars - the trim levels. When you're buying a new car, they want all kinds of money for options like sunroof, leather, navigation, etc. When you buy used, this almost disappears. I was (and still am) looking at an early 2000's Toyota Avalon - the base model MSRP'd for $25K, the XLS model for $30K. Shopping used the difference is on average about $500-1000 - so you're getting top features for much less than the original package.

I really am impressed with the statement " almost disappears " that is so true. You have reached another level on my scale, not that it means much, but from my point of view you're 99% more knowledgeable than the average shopper

danielsatur
01-08-2010, 05:10 PM
If you got a bad FICA, or DMV, try to get both fixed befor any new car.
Interest + Tax + Insurance = broke

Shpuker
01-08-2010, 10:42 PM
If it were me, I'd go with a sporty Cross-over FWD SUV.

I'm sorry but thats just a bad combination

dab1123
01-09-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm sorry but thats just a bad combination

Why do you say that? I have a '03 Pontiac Vibe (GM version of the Matrix) that runs like a race car & gets
34 1/2MPG Hwy. & 29Cty. (w/AMSOIL throughout). Having Rack & Pinion stearing, it's a joy to drive. And my 2nd Cousin has a '08 Equinox. She loves it! It gets over 28MPG Hwy. (AWD). Never ANY problems with either.

Shpuker
01-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Why do you say that? I have a '03 Pontiac Vibe (GM version of the Matrix) that runs like a race car & gets
34 1/2MPG Hwy. & 29Cty. (w/AMSOIL throughout). Having Rack & Pinion stearing, it's a joy to drive. And my 2nd Cousin has a '08 Equinox. She loves it! It gets over 28MPG Hwy. (AWD). Never ANY problems with either.

The Vibe.... :rofl:

The Equinox is a good SUV, just not in FWD...... A big heavy SUV with FWD can never be classified as either fun nor practical.

dab1123
01-09-2010, 02:29 PM
The Vibe.... :rofl:

The Equinox is a good SUV, just not in FWD...... A big heavy SUV with FWD can never be classified as either fun nor practical.

Say what you like, I love my little Vibe. As I said, it has been trouble free all these years & gets better MPG than many new model Cross-overs. Truth is, I wish they were still in production so I could buy a new one & give this one to my Aunt who needs reliable transportation!

ag82
01-10-2010, 03:44 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions but I dont really like to buy SUV at present, I am more interested in sporty looking cars and I like Coupes. so was looking to buy a new one or a old one..... I have still not decided and will be looking more before I can decide what is the best option...

Add your comment to this topic!