Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Couple of problems with 2002 Liberty

TheSauce05
01-06-2010, 05:10 PM
So, we've gotten a lot of snow here recently and my poor 2WD F-150 just has to sit in the driveway while I drive my girlfriend's Liberty. It's a 2002 4WD V6. The first, and probably worst, problem is that when making sharp turns (i.e. in a parking lot) it feels like something is catching and causing the car to stop. I mean, if you don't give it any gas, it will not move. It makes a grinding noise that sounds like it's coming from the front. It doesn't stall, but you just can't get it to move unless you give it gas, and when you do, it lunges. I've checked the tires and there's plenty of clearance. It only seems to do it in 4WD, but I seem to remember it doing it in 2WD, but the last time I tried it in 2WD it didn't do it. Seeing as how it's so cold out and there's a good 3 inches of snow on I can't get out there and check everything. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm thinking the front diff is locking up. My second problem is the driver's side front running light doesn't work. I replaced the small (168) bulb as it seemed to be out and that didn't resolve the problem. It works for the turn signal, but not the drl. I checked all the fuses and they all are good. Not sure if it's a relay or what. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help!

jeddi20
01-07-2010, 08:54 AM
that is a standard problem with the liberty 4wd. my sisters does it all the time too. the system was designed to be used in mud, if you try to use it on concrete (even with snow on the ground) it will try to hop around a turn. this is based on my own experience.

TheSauce05
01-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm not so sure. The vehicle was designed for consumers driving it on the road with the added capability of light-to-moderate off-road driving. I would guess that 95% of all vehicles bought off the dealer lot to be made for on-road driving. This car should not be doing that. I mean, I could probably find a mud pit to test that theory, but I'd guess that the car would act pretty much the same in the mud pit, unless it is the diff locking up and one of the wheels spins in the mud. The real problem seems to be right now with the roads getting worse when making a turn on a slippery road the front wheels lock up and can cause the front of the car to slide. I'm still stumped. I guess I really won't know anything until I can get the car up on blocks and run it off the ground to see what's going on under there. Thanks for the reply!

TheSauce05
01-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Ok, I found the answer to the question about turning. It happens when turning on too dry of pavement in 4WD. This is the first Jeep I've ever had, but my second 4wd. Never had any problems out of any other 4WD vehicles, but evidently, the transfer case doesn't allow for tight turns to be made while in 4WD and the driveline binds. I guess the parking lots are a little less icy than they appear. I've been trying to drive it in 2WD as much as possible, and only use 4WD when I can't go anymore (which is what you're supposed to do anyway). Oh well. Lesson learned. Just going to have to remember to kick it back into 2WD when I get through these hills.

Add your comment to this topic!