Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How To: Remove Inner Hood Cowling

3d914
01-02-2010, 09:00 AM
1998 Ford Windstar 3.8L
I've read numerous posts where others have had difficulty removing the lower (inner) hood cowling, so I've posted instructions and pictures here. The process involves removing ten screws, disconnecting one electrical connector and the winshiled washer hose.

STEP 1: Remove the outer (upper) cowling. I'll post instructions for the upper (outer) cowling later.

STEP 2: Starting at the driver's (left) side, disconnect the wiring for the windshield wiper motor (as shown in picture). The wiper motor and actuators are attached to the underside of the inner cowling. The assembly is lifted out together - there is no need to remove the wiper sub-assembly from the cowling.

Picture-01 (Image upload currently not working)

STEP 3: Using a 5/16 hex driver/socket, remove the two screws connecting the cowling to the drivers side fender (pic-01).

STEP 4: Continue to the center of the cowling, and remove five screws; one for the frame (upper screw), three for the drain vent (lower-center), and one for the lower-left corner of the fresh-air vent (lower-left in picture 2)

Picture-02

STEP 5: At the passenger (right) side, remove the remaining three screws; one for the upper-right of the fresh-air vent (upper-right in picture 3), and remaining two that mount to the passenger fender. See picture 3.

STEP 6: Carefully dsiconnect the windshield washer hose. This is a rigid plastic, thin-wall hose, and will break easily. You should be able to remove it from the 90 deg elbow. Mine was broken, so I replaced it with a softer rubber hose, in two pieces. One from the elbow to the front side of the grommet in the cowling, and a second piece from the back side of the grommet to the "T" fitting on the outer cowling.

Picture-03

STEP 7: Before the cowling is lifted out, realize that the wiper actuator arm on the driver's side (left) extends under the fender lip. Also, the wiper motor hangs down and may get caught on nearby cables.

Start by lifting the passenger side up and forward (toward you) with your left hand, stabilizing the heavier driver's side with your right hand. As your left hand frees the passenger side of the cowling, carefully slide the drivers' side out at angle while lifting. It may be necessary to stop and free the wiper motor from any obstructions before continuing.

Assembly is the reverse, being careful to place the cowling in the driver's side corner first, then swinging into place on the passenger side. Also note to place the mounting tabs at either corner over the body panel when re-installing (Thanks Dekeman).

Dekeman
01-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Good instructions here. If you have webspace through your ISP or something, you can upload pictures there. The only way this forum lets one put up pics is via a link.

That reminds me- do you place the round tabs at either corner under or over the body panel when re-installing? I never took note of that. Mine are outside over the fender when I did this last year.

Add your comment to this topic!