Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

04 kia rio high idle problem

madman23420
01-01-2010, 08:52 PM
i have an 04 kia rio i just replaced the timing belt on it. if u unhook the battery and reset the computer it will run great for a while after a little running when u stop it idles at about 3grand in neutral if u keep driving it will lose speed and start reving up and down on its own even if the pedal is all the way down. if u stop unhook the battery for a few minutes and clear the computer it will run fine again for another 15 or 20 miles. i took it and had the codes ran. it shows 4 codes tps code mas air flow sensor code oxygen sensor code and a vaccum leak code. i tested the tps with an ohm meter and a new tps and it checked out fine i cannot find a vaccum leak anywhere i am still checking the other sensors but i havent found anything wrong with them yet. can anyone please point me in the right direction.

RahX
01-01-2010, 10:16 PM
You didn't get the engine in time properly. You need to redo it and get it right before you damage your engine.

madman23420
01-04-2010, 10:12 PM
i did notice when i replaced the belt that the timing marks looked a little off about half a tooth but when i put it on but i tried it one tooth one way and then the other and it just never seemed to look perfect i also made sure that the belt has the same amount of teeth as the old one i will try it again and see if i can get it right im just not sure why the timing marks never seem to look just right but i will try itagain and let u know what happens thanks for your help

RahX
01-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Yea they kinda suck to line up, easiest way to do it is have them point slightly inward on both sides.

Add your comment to this topic!