Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Honda Passport Transmission

BarnesCD
12-30-2009, 08:50 PM
I just started tearing out the automatic transmission in my 1996 Passport (4X4) and I'm getting the feeling Hayne's forgot to mention removing the oil pan to access the torque converter-flywheel bolts. Can anyone confirm if the oil pan needs to come off?

somick
01-04-2010, 12:03 PM
I do not think Haynes is the right book for that kind of job.

Try Helminc. I know that their manuals are probably somewhere over 70 dollars, but you will get the real answers there.

Good luck,

Sam

BarnesCD
01-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the insight, however, the manual is working well. Never done a Honda tranny, so its a good point of reference. After talking to a Honda tech, it sounds like the oil pan will need to come off. Does anyone have any tricks for accomplishing this on a 4X4 rather than dropping the entire front suspension and steering?

DownToGround
01-09-2010, 12:46 PM
it really dosent make sense that you would have to drop the oil pan.. there should be an inspection plate that can be removed, or access somewhere.. also do a search on this forum with the search button

BarnesCD
01-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Once again, thanks for the reply, but not much help. I have spent several hours searching this board as well as others with no luck finding someone who has replaced the auto-transmission in a 4WD. For the record, there is about 1" clearance between the flywheel and oil pan, making it impossible (so far) to loosen the 3 bolts that connect the flywheel and converter. The transmission could be removed without removing the converter, since it's junk, but I can't reinstall with the torque converter attached. Ergo, the oil pan needs to be removed so I can put a socket on the bolts.

Add your comment to this topic!