water in oil?

dragontrlr
12-30-2009, 04:45 PM
have a 89 van with 318 just checked oil and it has water in it. dipstick showed about 2" above full. drained a small portion out of pan and was barely milky. back side of block on both sides have green residue and signs of dripping underneath. inside of carb(intake butterflies) is all of a sudden spotless and brand new looking. the breather on the left side that goes to air intake is gunked and muddy. green residue on inside of air intake, new air filter is spotless and still white. engine runs fine, doesnt seem to overheat (barely drive it) no real signs of smoke. i am totally confused as there appears to be a lot of coolant water in a variety of places where it shouldnt be yet the engine runs great(198000 miles great) oil pressure is good until it gets hot then drops like a rock at idle but shoots right back up when the gas is depressed. this is what caused me to check the oil in the first place. is there anyway to check to make sure it is not the head gaskets? this is a van so it is a serious task just to look at the engine let alone touch anything. the engine is not original but mileage is unknown. both freeze plugs in back side are replacement style expansion plugs there are at least two other replacement plugs on the left side. any ideas???

bluezuan
12-30-2009, 06:46 PM
white smoke is a blown head gasket------------

alloro
12-30-2009, 09:08 PM
is there anyway to check to make sure it is not the head gaskets?

You could do a compression test to see if any of the cylinders are low on pressure. But I don't think you need to do that, because from your description it sounds to me like your intake gasket needs to be replaced. A blown head gasket doesn't dump water into the crankcase.

Add your comment to this topic!