Future Collector Cars? Who Will It Be?

isaac
12-30-2009, 01:39 AM
For cars manufactured post January 1st 2000 ...

What makes and models will become classic?

MagicRat
12-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Okay, lets assume all the high-end performance cars, Ferrari, Lambos, Corvettes, Aston Martins, Vipers etc. are always going to be collectable.

The new Pontiac GTO comes to mind..... a great performance car, great name, sold in limited quantities, by a now-dead division. It's got collectability written all over it.

The V8-powered Pontiac Bonnevilles may be as well, for similar reasons. Not as collectable as a GTO, but they are quite rare.

Also, any Dodge SRT model, Neon SRT-4, Charger and Challenger SRT-8, and, I guess the SRT-10 truck.

BTW, here is Jay Leno's thoughts on this subject. For such an esteemed collector, Jay is mostly out-to-lunch on this subject, imo.
http://www.sablogzone.com/carzone/?p=2262

Ray paulsen
12-30-2009, 10:11 PM
I remember very clearly standing in a GM store showroom looking at a yellow 2002 Firebird 35th anniversary edition saying to myself this is a limited edition in a fair price range affordable for an investment down the line to put on ice, but hell at my age, 25 - 30 years from now to cash in big I will be a happy camper to just be around, so I passed,,, lol.

I agree with the statement made by Magic Rat that many high end performers are always going to be collectable, but with a light pocket book one of my choices of this era would have been the 2002 Firebird.

Allow me to reminisce about my past a little, in 1967 I bought from the the vice president of Coca Cola his 1965 Jaguar XKE 4.2 Conv for huge money then " LOL " $6000. my wife got pregnant, and with no back seat to speak of I traded for a Beetle, to this day I get upset as these units will fetch over $100,000 in mint condition.

MagicRat
12-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Allow me to reminisce about my past a little, in 1967 I bought from the the vice president of Coca Cola his 1965 Jaguar XKE 4.2 Conv for huge money then " LOL " $6000. my wife got pregnant, and with no back seat to speak of I traded for a Beetle, to this day I get upset as these units will fetch over $100,000 in mint condition.

Ouch!. Well, since a '67 Beetle cost $1800 or so, I hope you got some cash back. :)

Imo, don't feel so bad about the Jag. It really has not appreciated faster than many other investments, such as treasury bills.
My financial calculator says $6k, invested in 1967 at 6% compounded annually ( a reasonable money market figure, averaged out for the past 4 decades) would yield $69,392 today

Now, given that after 42 years, your Jag would likely be less than mint, (hey, you would drive it, right?) a $69k sale price is realistic.

Yes, I know, you can't exactly drive a T-bill, but you don't have to pay to insure one, either. :)

Ray paulsen
12-31-2009, 12:43 AM
I honestly can't remember about the transaction getting cash back going into the Beetle around 1970, I know at the time it was considered very sporty but the word future classic was never at play at the time.

However, your post I consider excellent, makes me feel lot's better when I look at your angle about investment along with thinking cost of upkeep that would have occured through the years.

Hey, you mentioned Insurance " funny " I found last year in old files an Insurance bill for the Jag,,, " ready " $69. for the year,,,lol

akboss
01-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Simple, there won't be any. Everything is plastic bits and very few in our future-minded society will have the concern to maintain their cars to the point of being a 'classic' in 20-30 years. Personally, I think the classics will always be the 1940's-1970's cars..

drunken monkey
01-04-2010, 10:37 AM
In an age of mass produced cars I can't think of many that can easily be called a classic.
Proper limited production versions of cars will have a collector's market but this isn't strictly the same as what we call classics today.

The only car I can easily think of that I can see being regarded as a proper future classic is a series one Lotus Elise.
Most other things I can see being desirable are prestige/limited models of whatever car.

Alfa Romeo GTA cars
Audi S/RS cars
BMW M cars
Ford Focus MK1 RS
Ford Puma ST160
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo Plus
Honda DC2 Type-R (especially the UK car with the round head-lights); not sure about the other Type-Rs though. Maybe the EK9 Civic Type R because of it's shared historic point as beign the first.
I can see NSX's getting more recognition, especially if Honda re-introduce the line.
Mazda MX-5s are already considered a modern classic.
I think the Nissan Z cars will always have a following.
Same for any GT-R (or GTi-R)
Renault Clio Williams are considered classics.
Renaultsport cars have been proving themselves to be the best hot hatches available with each successive model and I can't see the V6 cars being anything other than a future classic.
Subaru Imreza WRX STis will always have a following so the special models (RB5, 22b, P1 etc) will be more desirable.
I reckon the Smart Roadster/Coupe pair will see classic status.
The Toyota Supra will always have a following.
TVRs are already considered classics.

Anything else?

Add your comment to this topic!