Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 dodge ram 2500 diesel

mossback49
12-29-2009, 11:12 PM
My Ram would not start at after refueling, I had a quarter tank so I did not run out of fuel.....

I suspected my lift pump again, it has been replaced 4 times now.....so it is new today........but engine still does not start.......turns over and tries to fire but nothing happens....

error codes on odometer are P-1693 and P-doNe...........I understand the 1693 is a fault in the ECM.......but p-doNe? What is that???

Is my ECM toast or is a program reboot needed?

Chris Stewart
12-30-2009, 06:42 PM
P1693 DTC Detected in PCM/ECM or DTC Detected in ECM.
A Companion DTC was set in both the ECM and PCM.

This means both the engine and truck computers know about a Diagnostic Trouble Code set recently although it may have reset with a required number of engine starts after the problem went away.
A free scan at most any chain type auto parts store can get you scanned properly.

If you've installed 4 lift pumps, you might consider making sure the lift pump gets fuel without air. I relocated mine to the frame rail in front of the fuel tank.

Do you know your lift pump fuel pressure? I watch mine with a pressure gauge.
The stock spec is 10psi.

If air is allowed into the system, air will have to be bled out of the system before the engine will start.
Charge the batteries up good, you're going to do lots of cranking and low batteries will hurt the starter. Pour 5 gallons of clean diesel fuel in the fuel tank.
With plenty of fuel in the tank:
Place a drain pan under the fuel filter drain line.
Turn the keyswitch just enough to "bump" the starter to get The Free 25 Second Lift Pump Run.
While the pump is running, open the drain on the fuel filter until clear fuel runs out then close the drain.
On the side of the injector pump is a fitting with a plastic cap.
In order to bleed air from the filter, you'll need a Fuel Pressure Check kit available at most auto parts stores.
The one for GM vehicles work just fine on mine, it uses the same plumbing connector.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/Clunk_/Image042.jpg

Screw the connector on the fitting of the injector pump on the driver's side of the engine and have the drain pan ready to catch fuel from your gauge kit sample line.
"Bump" the starter to get The Free 25 Second Lift Pump Run, depress the sample line button to allow fuel and air into the drain pan. After the stream is clear with no air, release the sample line button. Bump the starter one more time and observe the fuel pressure. It should build to 15psi on a new lift pump. If not then the fuel filter may need replacing, then the whole drill so far will need to be re-done.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/Clunk_/Image046.jpg

Now for the meat and taters of this job.
With a 19mm line or open end wrench, open #1, #3, #4, & #5 injector fittings on the cylinder head a coupla turns.
Bump the starter to get 1 more lift pump run then crank the engine over with the starter for 5 seconds then check for wet injector fittings. Tighten any wet ones then crank the engine 5 more seconds. Recheck the fittings and tighten any wet ones.
Continue this drill until all the fittings are determined wet and tightened down.
Continue the 5 second cranks/rest a coupla minutes until the engine starts.

trav_leng
06-25-2010, 10:39 AM
u have a restriction in ur supply line from the tank to the lift pump

snakecan2
09-09-2010, 09:46 PM
man I wish my 2005 engine look that clean.. guess maybe should not take it to the beach..:eek7:

Chris Stewart
09-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks but that picture was taken in 2004 not long after I bought the truck used....it was still pretty clean from where the used car dealer washed it. It's plenty dirty & oily now.

Add your comment to this topic!