Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

90 Custom Cruiser - Electrical issue?

DrRyan84
12-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Hi All:
For years, when I open my driver's or passenger's doors, my radio would shut off - most likely a short or ground somewhere.

Tonight, here in freezing cold Maine, I opened the tailgate to load in some groceries, and tried closing it and it wouldn't close. So I slammed it a few times and it finally closed. However, now the radio display/clock and radio itself is not working - and the light above the rear-facing seats is staying on, even though the tail gate appears to be firmly closed.

Any ideas what's up ? It seems to me that the tailgate really ISN'T closed, even though it seems like it is...since the whole 3 yr history of door open, radio off...but somewhat puzzling. Any ideas?

Does anyone know where the "door closed" sensor is on the tailgate?

Thanks guys!

MagicRat
12-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Imo the first place to look is the door switch on the tailgate. I am not sure what type you have, some have a plunger-style switch, like the side doors, others have a switch inside the door, integral to the latch.

Chances are, the door is closed but the switch has malfunctioned. It is either stuck or has become damaged or distorted, so it is now grounded all the time.

DrRyan84
12-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks for your response! I checked - it must be inside the door, no plunger switch at the sidewall.
Would the switch be on the upper or lower latch? I will look more closely at it tomorrow when the temp is above 10 degrees! Any insight into what I am looking for or what the "switch" may appear as externally in the latch?

Also, why is the radio/clock affected specifically by the door switch?

Many thanks.

maxwedge
12-30-2009, 07:36 AM
You may have a bad fuse, check the body feed fuse regarding the radio issue.

Add your comment to this topic!