Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Removing front drive axle

AWILLIAMS64
12-28-2009, 04:49 PM
i am trying to replace my front drive axle in my 01 passport 4x4. i have the axle out of the steering knuckle but can not get it to pull out of the differential housing. any help? if you could give me a call 937-206-2314. thanks in advance.

DrBlackrose
12-28-2009, 05:16 PM
You have to cut the metal band from the CV axle boot and there is a metal C ring just inside the "cup" where the CV is housed. You have to remove this C ring and then the axle will slide right out.

AWILLIAMS64
12-28-2009, 05:23 PM
i did that and the axle fell out but i bought a whole new axle and it has the whole shaft that is a spline on each end. Now i have just the big cup looking thing that is attached the transfer case.

DrBlackrose
12-28-2009, 05:30 PM
You just need to use the halfshaft part of the axle.It sounds like you have the full axle. You can take apart the full axle you have or go and exchange the axle you have and get the halfshaft and get a little money back.

AWILLIAMS64
12-28-2009, 07:08 PM
i took the one i had apart and now it will not fit in the new inner housing, it is totally different and noone has one without the inner housing. looks like i am going to have to figure out how to change the whole shaft

Cat Fuzz
12-28-2009, 07:32 PM
There is a snap ring holding the axle in the bracket. You have to unbolt the bracket and bring it down to get access to the snap ring.

AWILLIAMS64
12-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Is that the bracket that has the four bolts facing the wheel and then the two large bolts going up through the frame? I got the 4 bolts out in the front but could not get the larger one going up out. I think the one had a rubber bushing or something on it. So you are saying that if i get all 6 of the bolts out the whole axle can be lowered and i can slide out the drive axle out with the bracket on it still? or can i get the snap ring off just by lowering it?

There is a snap ring holding the axle in the bracket. You have to unbolt the bracket and bring it down to get access to the snap ring.

Cat Fuzz
12-28-2009, 09:38 PM
I've never done it myself. I only know what I've read in the manual.

AWILLIAMS64
12-28-2009, 09:48 PM
OK, thanks for the help. I dont have a manual for it, maybe its time to get one. I do have access to alldata, which my friends garage pays $200 per month for and it has nothing about this job in it. it has the hour breakdown and the parts but no procedures on how to do it.

I've never done it myself. I only know what I've read in the manual.

Cat Fuzz
12-28-2009, 10:28 PM
After reviewing my own manual, it appears that the entire bracket comes out with the axle. Certainly, the four side bolts and the two mounting bolts need to come out. You might be able to pull it away enough to get at the snap ring without taking the entire bracket out of the truck.

AWILLIAMS64
12-29-2009, 12:06 AM
that is good to know., i have been trying to find a manual online so i could get a good look at this. I found 1 that has a lot of info in it but has nothing about changing the drive axles. imagine that. anyone know of a good place i could download a complete service manual?

AWILLIAMS64
12-30-2009, 10:35 PM
well i ended up getting it done without pulling the whole axle. I ordered one from napa without the inner housing and it fit perfect in the housing and my headaches are over for now. I now notice my other boot onm the passenger side is looking pretty bad. At least i know how to do it now, and i figure i might as well spend the extra and put in an upper ball joint when i do the other side as well. I might just reboot the axle i just took out and put it in the other side.

Cat Fuzz
12-31-2009, 01:22 AM
I was reminded of the different axles that are available for our trucks. They are interchangeable as complete units but not with each other as parts.

AWILLIAMS64
12-31-2009, 11:44 AM
i found that out the hard way thats for sure. where the stock axle had i think 4-5 balls where it goes into the inner housing, the new one only had 3

I was reminded of the different axles that are available for our trucks. They are interchangeable as complete units but not with each other as parts.

Add your comment to this topic!