Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Windstar - Window motor or regulator

3d914
12-27-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm having a problem with a non-functioning right-side window. I checked the connector at the motor and its getting 12v when switched at driver or passenger side switch.

I've heard mention in a previous post about a problem with the "window regulator" and others the "Window motor". Can someone clarify the relationship between these, as my manual has no details. Is there a means of testing them separately?

I also noticed that most replacement motors do not include the regulator. Is there a special source for these?

TIA,

wiswind
12-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Check at Rockauto website.
I bought a motor with gear.....pictures of the installation are in the pictures that the link in my signature takes you to.

I would recommend that you remove the inside door trim panel and give things a look.
Make sure that the slide rails at the front and back of the door are in place.....they have a way of breaking at the spot welds.
If one is broken.....you can buy a new on at the dealership for not much money.

Also....you might try lubricating the slide parts on the regulator.
I found some lubricant that dealerships sell "Motorcraft Mini-Vent Widow Lube"
Your local dealership my have it.....or have something else that they recommend.
It is possible that you only need to lubricate things.

3d914
12-29-2009, 06:59 AM
Carl,

Thanks for the link to the pictures. Hard to believe you have to drill to get this motor out.

I can see that with the motor out I can test it separately. Also, which of the several available motors did you get? I was considering the DORMAN Part # 742245. It appears to take the stock connector.

Thanks,

wiswind
12-29-2009, 07:43 PM
I bought mine from the Rockauto website.
I got a Cardone unit....brand new......with gear unit.

Yes......it was necessary to drill the door.
There is a small hole there at each location....but you have to drill it out bigger in order to get a socket onto the bolts that hold the motor.

As I mention on the pictures.....I had to remove the bracket from the motor on the new unit......in order for it to fit.
Also.....you have to match up the wires....
If you get them backwards......the window will go up when you press 'down' and down when you press 'up', so you just have to switch the wires to get it right.

Each side (front doors) has its own fuse that protects ONLY that 1 window motor.

3d914
01-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Window problem solved - at least for the moment.
I removed the window motor. Holes were already drilled, as someone replaced the motor with a factory replacement. Once the motor was out, I reconnected the wiring to check if it would run alone. It did.
I then inspected the window regulator. I was able to move the window up & down by hand, although it did seem to have a slightly stiff fit when fully closed. A thorough lubrication with multi-purpose grease was in order.

There is still the possibility that the motor has an intermittent problem, but only time will tell.

Thanks,

Add your comment to this topic!