Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine for 01 malibu

willieray3
12-22-2009, 10:35 AM
I need to swap out my motor, my question is what year is best to use? the 3100 has its rash of problems ie (LIM leak, piston slap etc) both of which is why I'm swapping it out. Any suggestions will help thanks!

willieray3
12-24-2009, 12:10 PM
does anyone know what year gm fixed the piston slap issue?

jyount
12-24-2009, 01:29 PM
I don't know the ins ans outs of going with something else, but they ALL had the lim gasket issue until the 3500, the coolan't is a u flow around the intake, not through it, cant leak, coolant isn't there.

As far as engine go, all years are similar. They haven't changed the engine family a whole lot sense mid 90s or so. If I was swapping though I would try to find a close to my years as I could 3400. 3.4 instead of 3.1. Not much more power and tourqe, but if you're doing it anyway might as well. plus you can still find very low mileage 3400s in the bone yards pretty easy. Personally I would try to get one that HAS NOT had the lim done, and doesn't have any coolant in teh oil, because the effects of coolant diluted oil and someone using 3m rolocs on the lim gaskets if it has been changed, can be disasterous

2000izusu
12-25-2009, 03:24 PM
because the effects of coolant diluted oil and someone using 3m rolocs on the lim gaskets if it has been changed, can be disasterous

why are the rolocs bad? do they remove to much metal or do pieces of them get caught in the bearings? mike

jyount
12-25-2009, 11:14 PM
I love roloc discs too, but they are bad on these, I worked at a dealer, the general denied a couple warranties on short blocks because of contaminates, use the yellow plastic ones

Add your comment to this topic!