Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

RKE very LOW range.

lesterl
12-21-2009, 10:36 PM
1997 Venture. You usually have to hold the transmitter to the side glass to get it to work. Battery is good in transmitter. Any Ideas? Schematics of BCM/ Antenna location?

henry10
12-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Is this OEM or aftermarket? If it is the OEM system, the antenna might be at the passenger-side mirror, snow and ice can cover it and reduce its transmissability.

You may also need to re-sync the transmitter and the receiver:

Press the LOCK and the UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for 7 seconds.
The receiver will acknowledge re-synchronization in the following manner:

If all of the doors are locked, the receiver will unlock and lock all of the doors except the driver door.
If all of the doors are unlocked, the receiver will lock all of the doors.

I don't have the BCM diagram with me.

lesterl
12-22-2009, 06:31 PM
I have the transmitter programmed/ synced. I actually reprogrammed it in an attempt to try another remote (which I dont think was compatible). Had the mirror out on the passenger side and driver side to fix the vibration that was driving me nutts, I didnt see an antenna, I might try snooping around the front pass pillar to see if it is in there. Or I may just install a remote start/keyless entry on the thing.

henry10
12-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Back at it again: The remote should operate within a range of 50-60 feet. Since the original remote works but only in very close proximity, you might have a reception/physical problem with the receiver or the remote itself. You said that the battery on the remote is good. Since you that no ice or snow has covered the antenna (where ever it is located), the suspect is the receiver. I don't have the BCM diagrams until I get home in a few days. There is specialized equipment that can test and diagnose the receiver, I have seen them, but have never used them. Try your other best friend -- Google.

OTOH, maybe re-programming and pairing with another remote has caused the receiver to get out of sync with the original remote? Try re-syncing ONLY (not programming), by pressing both buttons for 7 consecutive seconds. Report back to the forum if the receiver locks / unlocks doors as specified in my previous post.

lesterl
12-23-2009, 06:01 PM
The remote has always had bad range like it has, tried google. I do TV repair and if I had some pinouts at least I could do some troubleshooting of the module, I may just try to take it apart and see what I can find, it may have gotten out of tune, or maybe the remote is just bad.... not really worth picking up another remote as I will just install a R/S KE system when needed.

henry10
12-23-2009, 06:26 PM
I like to hear how this will end. I believe you will figure it out and thus help the rest of us as well.

lesterl
12-23-2009, 06:30 PM
That is usually the reason I start a post. May be awhile before I get to far into it, not real important on the list of things.

MarkNYC
12-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Folks,

I have this exact same issue with my 2001 Pontiac Montana, factory RKE. Tried everything, even dealer could not fix issue. I'd be glad to know how this gets resolved.

Mark

lesterl
01-09-2010, 03:33 PM
I installed an Audiovox APS620 I picked up off EBay for $59 free shipping (remote start and keyless entry, works AWESOME, advertised as 1400' range, the box actually said 1000', but that is better than beating the factory remote on the side of the van to get the doors unlocked.)

merc81
01-14-2010, 10:39 AM
I never heard of an Audiovox APS620, so I did a google search. It sells for $52 on amazon and claims to be a remote start key transmitter.
Is this the case? Do you install this thing and start your car from remotely? Last time I saw something like this it cost a couple hundred bucks and was pretty complicated to connect to the car. Also it had to have a spare key because of the passkey security code setup in the van.
Can you tell us a bit more about your installation of this device? I'm gonna order one if it really starts the car remotely.

As far as the orginal purpose of this thread, I have two transmitters; one works from about 70 feet, the other has to be right at the door to work. I've changed batteries, tried various things, the one transmitter just doesn't seem to have any range.
:shakehead

lesterl
01-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah, one of your transmitters is dead, I didnt want to spend $60 on a new RKE Xmtr when I could purchase a Remote start/ RKE unit with 2 new transmitters. (the unit I purchased DID have the control box, 2 transmitters, wiring, and I downloaded wiring diagrams from several sites like www . bulldogsecurity . com and www . the12volt . com

I will do a write up on this if ya like.

This is the guy I purchased, and it had free shipping (advertised as 1400' range, box actually says 1000' range, but it beat the heck out of what I had.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Audiovox-Prestige-APS620-Car-Remote-Start-Starter_W0QQitemZ390127440819QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad56853b3

If you have PK2, it is bypassable with a single relay, if you have PK3 (stamped on the metal part of the key just below the head of the key) then you will have to purchase an adapter and if it needs it one of the keys with the transponder. My 97 had PK2 (easy to bypass.) IIRC 99+ had PK3.

Installation of the unit took a few hours as it has been a few years since I had installed one, and I also soldered my wires (usually dont solder them, but since this was my vehicle...)

lesterl
04-30-2010, 06:59 PM
FACTORY RKE Reciever is behind the center of the dash, it is a module with a 3 wire connector, a Black Ground wire, an Orange 12v feed, and a Black/White signal to the BCM. If you have issues, first step would be to check the 12v and ground at the reciever.

Also as a side note, my van is the extended version and has rear heat/air, this added excessive load when I first installed my RKE/Starter and it blew one of the main fuses on the aftermarket unit, I had to bump it up 5 amps to handle the xtra load, all has been working for many months fine now, excellent range.

Onblsht
05-01-2010, 06:43 PM
I would recommend opening the OEM remote and cleaning the contacts between the green circuit board and the rubber button pad.

Many times, even though you think its a range problem, its not getting within inches of the vehicle that makes the remote work - its that you are frustrated and pushing the buttons down with a lot more force right next to the vehicle that actually gets the remote to send the signal.

Over time, moisture and dust and who knows what else build up and get into the remote, so you might be surprised to see the circuit board contacts look like a green or black tar substance.

You can take an old toothbrush, get the toothbrush a little wet and clean off the circuit board and button pad. Make sure you wipe both dry before reinstallation.

You may need to hold down LOCK & UNLOCK on the remote for 7 seconds near the vehicle to resync it as it can lose sync with the remote battery disconnected for a few minutes.

lesterl
05-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I know, and some of the remotes have a Steel Battery clamp inside that will break loose from the solder connections on the PCB inside the remote and cause issues as well (I have resoldered TONS of them when I worked for a Mom and Pop TV repair shop.) I currently have this issue with my wifes Malibu, but I havent taken the time to mess with it as I dont drive it. I am pretty sure my OEM remote was bad, but I like the features of the aftermarket RKE and it also has more than twice the range the original ever thought of having.... My .02

Add your comment to this topic!