p0442 help

wikiedickie
12-21-2009, 10:44 AM
i have a 1999 honda passport and the ceheck engine light went on. i got a code of p0442 not sure how to check what the problem is. how do you check a gas cap? and what ever else might be the problem? also how do you reset the light with out a tool. can i dissconnect the battery?
thanks
sam

stantony1
12-21-2009, 01:33 PM
i have a 1999 honda passport and the ceheck engine light went on. i got a code of p0442 not sure how to check what the problem is. how do you check a gas cap? and what ever else might be the problem? also how do you reset the light with out a tool. can i dissconnect the battery?
thanks
sam

Flip open your gas tank cover, unscrew your gas cap, then screw it back on and get a few clicks past the resistance. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK.

Disconnect the black cable from your battery and wait a few minutes.

Reconnect cable and start up the car. Hopefully the code is cleared and will not come back which means it was the gas cap.

If the p0442 comes back, it may be a dirty EGR.

GOOD LUCK!!! I hope it's just the gas cap for you. Sometimes if I get full serve gas, I hope out of the car and turn that gas cap so it makes noise if I don't hear the attendant doing it.

Cat Fuzz
12-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Eh, a p0442 has nothing to do with the EGR system. More information can be found here: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0442

If re-securing the gas cap doesn't do it, there is a a possibility that the cap can be bad. There is also a possibility that there actually is a leak in the evaporative control system. These can be very difficult to locate without the help of a pro with the proper testing equipment (smoke machine).

stantony1
12-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Eh, a p0442 has nothing to do with the EGR system. More information can be found here: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0442

If re-securing the gas cap doesn't do it, there is a a possibility that the cap can be bad. There is also a possibility that there actually is a leak in the evaporative control system. These can be very difficult to locate without the help of a pro with the proper testing equipment (smoke machine).

Sorry. I had multi codes when this came up on my car. Leak in evap and EGR issue and something else which I am forgetting.

The gas cap was my issue and upon clearing the codes, the others never came back.

Add your comment to this topic!