Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Impala SS rear end

wiretwister
12-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Does anybody know if the rear axle housing from an Impala will fit in an Elky, or do I have to swap all the parts? I found a rear end with the right gear, positraction, and disc brakes, would love to just bolt it in if it would fit. Any info would be appreciated.

MagicRat
12-19-2009, 08:33 PM
It's always nice to know the model years you have in question, since both models were sold for decades with numerous mechanical changes.

But, without that info, I would say... probably not. Except for the late 50's/early 60's, the Elco used the mid-size chassis (Chevelle, Malibu), which had a narrower axle housing than the full-size Impala.

Even the internal parts may not swap, since a variety of diff gear designs were used.

wiretwister
12-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Yeah I guess that would be helpful (duh).:confused: The Impala is a 93 or 94 and the Elky is an 80. Both are corporate 10 bolt rears, but I dont know the ring gear diameters. I also suspected the Impala rear would be wider than the Elky, I guess a tape measure and straight edge will resolve that issue. If I can get just the brakes to work on the Elky I will be money ahead, the gear and the center section would just be a bonus.

Chevy7x
12-28-2009, 10:13 PM
one thing to think of also is if the width is off buy a small enough amount you can try differnt backspacing on you wheels if you dont already have wheels

Add your comment to this topic!