Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Washer Fluid Tank Leaks- 1999 Rodeo

stantony1
12-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi Guys,

So this morning I saw a pool of fluid under my car and determined that it was coming from my washer fluid tank.

I looked through the forums and no one really offers a fix. I read the TSP and looks like the fill tube connected to the tank issue...

So the fluid is leaking from the where the neck is attached to the tank separated by a gasket (rubber?). There is one bolt holding the neck to the frame of the car.

My question is. How is that neck attacked to the tank? Snapped in, or is there a plastic nut on the inside that screws onto the neck base?

I am pretty sure I can just replace the gasket and it should be all set without removing the entire tank. Just wanted to know beforehand if the neck is just snapped on via pressure and gasket, or is it threaded on with threads and some kind of nut?

I also looked through the blueprints and there is no clear illustration of how that neck is attached to the tank.

Any help appreciated... TIA!

amigo-2k
12-18-2009, 09:15 PM
The neck to the bottle is all one piece. they tend snap if you push the cap on to hard.

The only way to get it out is to remove fender.

or just keep the bottle half full.

conclusion the neck cracked and you can hit up a junk yard for a replacement if you like.

amigo-2k
12-18-2009, 09:16 PM
http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq74

stantony1
12-18-2009, 09:51 PM
http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq74

Hey... there is no #74 entry...

But the one above I already read about. Is there a quick fix? and what happened to #74?

stantony1
12-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Hey... there is no #74 entry...

But the one above I already read about. Is there a quick fix? and what happened to #74?

Other than replacing the whole reservoir... it doesn't look like it's just one piece? Why would there be a rubber gasket between the cap/fill neck and the tank?

amigo-2k
12-19-2009, 05:19 PM
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3335&highlight=washer+leak

I new tank should be under 50 bucks.

stantony1
12-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the the helpful advice.

So I was really curious about the gasket so I took apart the tank today. It's actually two pieces with a rubber grommet between the tank and the neck. The neck has a flange to stop the neck from going to far and molded tension bump on the end of the tube to keep it in the tank. The tube fits into the grommet and snaps into place and is held there by the tension bump. The entire assembly is held in place by a 10mm bolt holding the neck to the car frame.

Here is this fix.

Removed 10mm bolts from Engine Fuse box and moved the box aside so I can get to the tank bolt buried between the neck and the fuse box.

Then removed the 10mm bolt holding the fill neck to the tank.

Turned the neck a bit and then started working it loose from the tank.

Checked the grommet, mine looked like it was compressed and could have probably gotten a new one but it still looked like it had some play. It wasn't cracked but over compressed. So the theory is that the grommet has gone past compression return as it is the only thing that was stopping any fluid from leaking between the tank the neck. I gave it a slight push and it had some give and a little return. I figured it I can tighten up that space between the tank/grommet/neck I can stop that leak.

So I took some electrical tape and turned it 3 times over the end of the neck tub where the flange and tension bump was giving a few more mm of thickness.

Then I popped the tube pack into the tank through the grommet by wiggling it in. It was a tight fit but there was a satisfying POP sound when the tension bump made it past the grommet.

Wiped down the entire assembly and added washer fluid. At this point I decided to put everything back together because either way, I needed to drive to get a new grommet or it worked.

I put some newspaper under the car and went inside to get a hot coffee. It was 15 degrees out there.

Came back 30 minutes and the newspaper was dry so I assumed it was good to go.

I went out driving today and did my errands. I've checked continuously over the day and it looks like the car frame heating up and cooling down through the day does not affect the repair.

Car went from running hot to stone cold to hot and cold again in the last 12 hours so I think I am good!!!

I'll check again tomorrow to see if a leak develops.

stantony1
12-20-2009, 03:33 PM
No leak.

I think the electrical tape is providing enough girth to keep the gasket pressed against the tank and the neck.

YAY! No need to spend money!!!

But now I gotta go out and shovel...

Add your comment to this topic!