Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

GM Manual Relay Center Details are different

happydog500
12-14-2009, 04:01 PM
OK, fiannally I may be able to replace a Relay.

A few times something has gone wrong, the simple thing is the relay. But no, not my car. It always ends up being something more involved.

My Rear Defogger stopped working. Since the wires on the back window are intact, looking at the Manuel, it has a Relay.
I was hoping this time, I could finally solve something by just replacing a Relay.

Looking at the book (GM Service Manual), it shows the place where the relay is in the car is not where it's supposed to be.
Looking at the RH I/P power distribution center (in the car), I have two Relays, next to each other (up and down).

In spot "G", 3rd spot down, book shows the "Rear Defogger Relay."
The next one down in the book shows it's supposed to have one if its a Oldsmobile, not a Lesabre.

To even be more confusing, the second from the bottom is, "Driver DR Unlock." I have this, but no relay is in my car. It works.

I bought the book so I would have it be for my car. How does a 1997 GM service Manual for my car, have a different set up?

I could switch them around, but I don't know what the other relay goes to, to check if it stops working.
If the other relay is up, it's to a Power Sunroof which I don't have. If it's down, I don't have that ether.

I do have a Drivers Door Lock that works, but no relay there.

How does this situation work?

Thank you for any input.

Chris.

imidazol97
12-14-2009, 08:23 PM
OK, fiannally I may be able to replace a Relay.

A few times something has gone wrong, the simple thing is the relay. But no, not my car. It always ends up being something more involved.

My Rear Defogger stopped working. Since the wires on the back window are intact, looking at the Manuel, it has a Relay.
I was hoping this time, I could finally solve something by just replacing a Relay.

Looking at the book (GM Service Manual), it shows the place where the relay is in the car is not where it's supposed to be.
Looking at the RH I/P power distribution center (in the car), I have two Relays, next to each other (up and down).

In spot "G", 3rd spot down, book shows the "Rear Defogger Relay."
The next one down in the book shows it's supposed to have one if its a Oldsmobile, not a Lesabre.

To even be more confusing, the second from the bottom is, "Driver DR Unlock." I have this, but no relay is in my car. It works.

I bought the book so I would have it be for my car. How does a 1997 GM service Manual for my car, have a different set up?

I could switch them around, but I don't know what the other relay goes to, to check if it stops working.
If the other relay is up, it's to a Power Sunroof which I don't have. If it's down, I don't have that ether.

I do have a Drivers Door Lock that works, but no relay there.

How does this situation work?

Thank you for any input.

Chris.

When you took off the hush panel above the passenger's feet to get to that panel, there should be a chart of locations on the top of that panel that show where things go in your car. Did it have one there?

Another place for problems with rear window defog is the box that separates the radio signal from the heater wires. It's behind the C-panel cover on the passenger side rear. The cover pulls off; it's held on by two push clips sort of like door panels have.

Good luck.

happydog500
12-15-2009, 12:59 AM
I pulled out the stoppers, and dropped down the glove box. I can see the Relays from there.

I found another relay center diagram on the internet that shows a little different then what the book shows. One is the Defrogger, the other is the Interior Lights. I pulled both and the lights stayed on, so that's not the right one.

Here is a photo of the two Relays;

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/2416/twofuses.jpg

Chris.

imidazol97
12-15-2009, 07:45 AM
I pulled out the stoppers, and dropped down the glove box. I can see the Relays from there.

I found another relay center diagram on the internet that shows a little different then what the book shows. One is the Defrogger, the other is the Interior Lights. I pulled both and the lights stayed on, so that's not the right one.

Here is a photo of the two Relays;

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/2416/twofuses.jpg

Chris.

n you took off the hush panel above the passenger's feet to get to that panel, there should be a chart of locations on the top of that panel that show where things go in your car. Did it have one there?

happydog500
12-15-2009, 02:54 PM
I didn't see a chart because I didn't' take it off. GM showed to get access from the glove box opening. I can look at the panel.

The problem is, why would GM put the relays here on The Lesabre, but put mine somewhere else?

Chris.

Add your comment to this topic!