Oil Leak after Drive Thru Oil change

Bill-SILV
12-13-2009, 12:54 PM
I had the oil changed yesterday on a 94 F150 I bought about a week ago because I didnt know when the last time it was done and it had been sitting for a while.

After I left the oil change place I parked it at a family members house and when I left after a couple of hours there was about 1/2 to 1 quart of oil on his driveway and also drip marks from when I pulled in. I checked the level and it was ok so I drove it home which is about 18 miles and parked it overnight. Now this morning I went to check it and there is no oils drips under it.

The tech at the oil place said they had a hard time getting the filter off and I read online that maybe the old gasket didnt come off and there may be 2 gaskets on there now leaking but that doesnt explain it not leaking now. Plus the filter is too tight for me to get off by hand. I will have to buy a tool to get it off.

Any Suggestions.

way2old
12-13-2009, 03:49 PM
It is possible the oil was down in the crossover part of the frame. It could have run down when it was stopped and finally got all of it out.

fordtrucksonly
12-15-2009, 01:37 AM
I would agree, I think its probably off the frame rail or center section under the motor. If the filter was double o-ringed you wouldn't have any oil in it. they wont stop leaking.

Blue)(Fusion
12-15-2009, 10:45 PM
I've seen a few drips come down after an oil change that got into the suspension/steering components, but never have seen a 1/2qt to 1qt of oil puddled. I don't mean to worry you nor am I implying the other members are wrong - they know more about it than I do :P.

But if you did [/i]need[/i] to take the oil filter off and can't get it by hand, use a hammer and a screw driver. Pound the screw driver through and you can twist it out. You WILL get dirty. But it works and saves $15 :)

FNA
12-21-2009, 04:27 PM
We have to take the '1/2 qt to qt leaked onto driveway' with a grain of salt.

How much oil does it take to spread to a foot square? A few ounces? I'd guess a quart of oil would give a nice 12' x 12' puddle.

"But if you did [/i]need[/i] to take the oil filter off and can't get it by hand, use a hammer and a screw driver."

This should be very far down on your list of options of what to do if the filter is stuck. Certainly a strap wrench or a large water pump pliers should be tried first.

What you have when the filter won't come off is a car that can be driven to a garage. What you have when the filter has a hole punched through it is a sculpture.

ken_man_1
12-21-2009, 05:26 PM
What you have when the filter won't come off is a car that can be driven to a garage. What you have when the filter has a hole punched through it is a sculpture.

AMEN!:nono:

RahX
12-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Cheap filters won't hold up to a tight filter with a screwdriver through it, the screwdriver will usually tear through it. Your best bet is to invest in a cheap pair of filter pliers. I have a pair of bluepoint ones that weren't too expensive that I use on 99% of the cars I work on without a problem. The jaws are equal length, i'm not sure how the uneven lenth jawed ones would work.

Blue)(Fusion
12-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Of course oil filter wrenches are best way to go. But in a pinch, the screwdriver/hammer method worked out fine for me. Perhaps I will not suggest it anymore because I see my faulty logic (holy filters don't get prayers answered very well). But if it does come down to it, it worked for the guy who recommended it to me and worked for me (all two times).

way2old
12-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Or use a hammer and a long heavy screwdriver as a chisel and hit on the ring close to the base of the filter to loosen it. Just be careful not to damage sealing surface.

Add your comment to this topic!