Ideal First Car?

Cycloptishred
12-13-2009, 12:48 AM
I'm a new driver and I'm wondering what your opinion is on the subject.

I currently own a 3rd generation honda accord with a manuel transmission and I'm saving up for something that would be more suited for a new driver. Although I really dont like automatic transmissions.

Thanks for the help.

Shpuker
12-13-2009, 12:22 PM
If you like a manuel transmission then thats great, you'll get better mileage and have more fun while driving. (not that an Accord is fun ;))

What kind of budget are you lookin at?

MagicRat
12-13-2009, 02:36 PM
The best car for the new driver is...... the one with the lowest insurance rates.

New drivers tend to get clobbered on insurance, until they get a few years of claim-free and accident-free driving behind them.
Such high rates are made much worse by driving a high-performance sports car and/or an expensive car, that costs a lot to repair.

An older car, one with 4 doors, a 4 cylinder engine, and a cheaper, widely available car all contribute to lower insurance rates.

Are you looking to buy a new car? What kinds of cars do you like, and in what price range? Also, what do you not like about the Accord, or why do you think it's not suited for a new driver?

akboss
12-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Good point on insurance. A few cars with great insurance rates are the Volvo S80, Chevy Impala, Buick LeSabre and Hyundai Santa Fe. What's wrong with the Accord?

NotoriousPhil
12-14-2009, 10:20 AM
For a first car honda or toyota are ideal aftermarket parts are in abundance which means cheaper repairs. Whats wrong with your accord anyways?

generalsoul
12-14-2009, 10:47 PM
im also new to owning cars. my 16th birthday is coming up and i dont know what kind of car or truck i want. or if i even want a truck.... plus i have a below 17k price range. my brother told me that a 2000 honda civic 4door would be a good starter. but besides finding the right car, i dont know what colors or rims or anything. i just know i want something with pretty good gas-mileage and thats fast. if anyone can help me with this plzzzz do so! thx

MagicRat
12-14-2009, 11:22 PM
im also new to owning cars. my 16th birthday is coming up and i dont know what kind of car or truck i want. or if i even want a truck.... plus i have a below 17k price range. my brother told me that a 2000 honda civic 4door would be a good starter. but besides finding the right car, i dont know what colors or rims or anything. i just know i want something with pretty good gas-mileage and thats fast. if anyone can help me with this plzzzz do so! thx

Well, this site has about a million posts of useful car info, so start reading. :)

drunken monkey
12-15-2009, 08:19 AM
not that an Accord is fun

1998 Honda Accord Type-R (UK); one of the finest handling cars ever made.
Of course, that is the proverbial exception that proves the rule...

Anyway.
Did you guys ever get the T-Sport version of the Toyota Yaris/Vitz/Echo?
Bargain basement proces now for a bullet proof car that is cheap to insure, cheap to run and with enough poke to keep the 950kg moving.
Not the fastest bug on the block (0-60 is a biscuit under 9secs...) but it'll keep you smiling if you make the little engine sing.

On the other hand, as the others have asked, what's wrong with the Accord?
Granted it's no Integra but it isn't a bad car for it's age either.

Shpuker
12-15-2009, 03:21 PM
1998 Honda Accord Type-R (UK); one of the finest handling cars ever made.
Of course, that is the proverbial exception that proves the rule...

Anyway.
Did you guys ever get the T-Sport version of the Toyota Yaris/Vitz/Echo?
Bargain basement proces now for a bullet proof car that is cheap to insure, cheap to run and with enough poke to keep the 950kg moving.
Not the fastest bug on the block (0-60 is a biscuit under 9secs...) but it'll keep you smiling if you make the little engine sing.

On the other hand, as the others have asked, what's wrong with the Accord?
Granted it's no Integra but it isn't a bad car for it's age either.

Well it's plenty reliable, but pretty much all of them recently, or at least somewhat recently, are horribly boring. A lot of the really old Toyota's and Honda's were actually fun cars, for example

http://www.toyotacelicamodifications.com/toyota_celica_1970.JPG

One of my favorite cars ever.

kkautos
12-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Don't forget about reliability!

It's all very well choosing a car with a low insurance category but if its always on the back of an AA truck it gonna be just as expensive.

Look for low insurance, reliabilty, low maintenance costs.

Japanese cars for reliabilty, Ford are good as parts are very cheap.

Steer clear of French and German cars as tempting as they might be! Don't assume that if its German its well built cos not all of them are.

Happy hunting! :smile:

http://www.kk-autos.com

Ray paulsen
12-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Well, this site has about a million posts of useful car info, so start reading. :)

Excellent answer, only time will tell if poster is passing through or looking for real answers.

Cycloptishred
12-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Many things are wrong with my accord. It will be broken down within the year.

NotoriousPhil
12-18-2009, 09:06 AM
May be better to fix it instead of getting rid of it if the body is in good shape. How do you know in a year things are going to be wrong with it unless they are a problem now?

Cycloptishred
12-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Its little things like the transmission and the space heater. And much more that I dont remember.

aybe if I took good care of it, it could last a little longer.

Shpuker
12-19-2009, 02:52 AM
Its little things like the transmission and the space heater. And much more that I dont remember.

aybe if I took good care of it, it could last a little longer.

:eek7: Really? You had to think twice on that one?

NotoriousPhil
12-19-2009, 07:36 AM
People think because they drive a honda all they have to do is oil changes but some TLC and regular maintenance are key.

Shpuker
12-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Well no shit. I guess Honda drivers are dumb :D lol just messin with ya

akboss
12-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Well no shit. I guess Honda drivers are dumb :D lol just messin with ya

lol, so predictable :biggrin:

drunken monkey
12-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Just felt the need to remind you all of this

Given I'm 15 and don't own a car though.

akboss
12-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Just felt the need to remind you all of this

It all makes sense now....lol, I should have known from all the emodicons below the signature line.

Shpuker
12-21-2009, 10:59 PM
It all makes sense now....lol, I should have known from all the emodicons below the signature line.

I've said that to you like 30 times :rofl:

Just makes it all that more amusing when you guys get all pissed :lol2:

MagicRat
12-22-2009, 12:46 AM
Given I'm 15 and don't own a car though.
Oooooooooohhhhhh............... that SO needs to go in my sig. :)

:lol2: Yeah, but he does keep things lively.

Shpuker
12-23-2009, 12:58 AM

I do my best :D

NotoriousPhil
07-13-2010, 01:08 PM
shpuker all the hard times you've given me and you've never even driven a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all those wasted emotions and witty retorts for nothing!

Ray paulsen
07-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Oooooooooohhhhhh............... that SO needs to go in my sig. :)

Yes he does keep things lively, and must say I am very impressed with many of his answers at such a tender age, if he keeps going he could develop into another Joe Girard.

Shpuker
07-14-2010, 01:05 AM
shpuker all the hard times you've given me and you've never even driven a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all those wasted emotions and witty retorts for nothing!

Bad timing on your part. I started driving when I was 6 and I now have my own car (94 Grand Cherokee) and have had my license for 5 months..... But bravo on the attempt.

Shpuker
07-14-2010, 01:06 AM
Yes he does keep things lively, and must say I am very impressed with many of his answers at such a tender age, if he keeps going he could develop into another Joe Girard.

:iamwithst

:D

Jamesfranklin
06-04-2012, 05:10 AM
You are a new driver. I will suggest you to drive some light weighted car both in budget and pick up so that you can get good experience out of it. The probability of first time car drivers are more than regular driver therefore insured your car before taking it to ride.

Add your comment to this topic!