Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 GMC Sierra 4wd won't shift into 4 hi or AWD

Mike_C
12-12-2009, 12:26 PM
I just started having a problem with my 4wd.
When I push the button to select anything other than 2 hi, the indicator light for the selected range will flash for about 30 sec and then it reverts back to a steady light on the 2 hi button.
I have already replaced the pushbutton unit and nothing changed there.
Can anybody out there help me?
How can I troubleshoot it from this point?
Thanks

CANUSLUPUS
12-30-2009, 12:19 AM
I had a simillar problem in my 97 f150. It wouldn't shift into 4wd. I would hit the button and the lights would come on but it wouldn't engage. It was a 5 amp fuse that blue in the fuse box... go figure...

Fishbo
02-01-2010, 02:46 PM
check out the wire harness and plug in on transfer case on passenger side of truck.ive seen several of these just came unplugged or bad connection.its a cream colored accuater that a blue plug harness goes to.

phynx
02-21-2010, 12:50 AM
I just started having a problem with my 4wd.
When I push the button to select anything other than 2 hi, the indicator light for the selected range will flash for about 30 sec and then it reverts back to a steady light on the 2 hi button.
I have already replaced the pushbutton unit and nothing changed there.
Can anybody out there help me?
How can I troubleshoot it from this point?
Thanks
Was this fixed? I may be able to help you.

phynx
02-21-2010, 12:52 AM
check out the wire harness and plug in on transfer case on passenger side of truck.ive seen several of these just came unplugged or bad connection.its a cream colored accuater that a blue plug harness goes to.
Fishbo, is this in the cab?

Fishbo
02-22-2010, 10:20 AM
on transfer case under truck. passenger side, behind front wheel approx. 2 feet in towards middle of truck

Fishbo
02-22-2010, 10:24 AM
also if i were you i wouldnt use auto 4x4 cause it toasts the clutches in transfer case. ive seen quite a few trucks need new clutches with less than 50,000 miles on them. they should have never had auto 4x4.or had a more quality design.

phynx
02-24-2010, 09:30 PM
also if i were you i wouldnt use auto 4x4 cause it toasts the clutches in transfer case. ive seen quite a few trucks need new clutches with less than 50,000 miles on them. they should have never had auto 4x4.or had a more quality design.
Is that even the case with 2005 and above?:confused:

Fishbo
02-25-2010, 09:18 AM
havent heard anything about that. just know 99-02 were bad. everyone that has a 03-newer that i know, i allready told them dont take any chances. i do know the electric connections for transfer case are bad still 03-07 trucks. did you figure yours out yet?

phynx
02-25-2010, 09:35 AM
did you figure yours out yet?
Well, I hope so.. I changed the sensor in the encoder motor last weekend. Light has not come on since (service 4wd). But I am still weary though... Fishbo, is the clunk normal when the 4low is engaging? It has always done it since I got it. I just don't know. I am waiting to bump into someone getting in to their GM 4x4 to ask them.
I even changed my u-joint last weekend. It was gone at 36,000. That just doesn't sound right. That was the other clunking I was trying to figure out for a year, until I got on here. A GM mechanic told me that was normal. Man was he wrong! That sound every time I came to a hard stop, stop turn, take off- got on my nerves-:banghead:. 10 dollars for the U (greasable) and 1 hour to change: That was it, and I was purring again.. :loser:

Fishbo
02-25-2010, 05:49 PM
are you putting it in neutral when putting it in 4 low?

phynx
02-26-2010, 09:40 AM
are you putting it in neutral when putting it in 4 low?
Yes, and that is the scary part. It has always clunked when you put it in 4Lo. Normal?

Vortec6000
06-08-2011, 05:18 AM
Yes, and that is the scary part. It has always clunked when you put it in 4Lo. Normal?

My 02 does that whenever you go from 2-4 but once you get moving she disappears. The clunk is definitely getting worse... my bro says it's time to change out a CV axle.

phynx
06-08-2011, 02:45 PM
After a year of messing with it- encoder motors, wiring, ujoints, swapping 4x4 button and trying to fix why it didn't want to go into 4x4 at times (service 4x4 light on at times to), I bought a rebuilt transfer case. Everything is smooth now. Sad to say:frown: is that GM did not want to cover this when my truck had been over three years old (warranty) and under 36,000 (had 27,000 when I took it to GM). I explained that I was deployed for three years on and off and I never seriously thought it was a problem; it was. My transfer case was bad; costing me $1600 this week for the complete fix.

Add your comment to this topic!