Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuse 65 keeps blowing in my 2004 E55 AMG, HELP!!??

EClass2009
12-10-2009, 08:46 PM
A couple of weeks ago my instrument cluster and heat controls stopped working. I checked fuse 64 and seen that it was blown. I changed it and everything seem to normal again. My lights, signals, steering wheel controls, and heat control worked properly again. However the last week this problem has been occurring more frequently. For example: Today I was driving and about an hour into my drive, the lights, the signals, and the heat control stopped working...the fuse had blown. I changed the fuse and started the car, as soon as I started the car the fuse blew again, again I got out and changed fuse 64, again I changed the fuse and again it blew once again.

This problem is becoming expensive as i am having to buy new fuses all the time.

PLEASE HELP!!!???

vectortech
12-13-2009, 02:29 AM
It is going to be more expensive when you have to replace the wiring that you are melting by keeping power charged to a componant that is shorting out!! Like the car burning up?
This needs to be looked at by a shop if you do not have access to a wiring scematic and know how to use a multimeter. Could literly be a hundred different things.

Do make sure that the cigar lighter isnt messed up or something. Change stuck down inside the plug or something...

eclass
12-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Nice car,
fuse 64 is not an easy one to check,, either the cluster, headlight switch, or climate control system is the cause. The climate control and the cluster are dealer repair items due to coding but the switch is plug and play. remove your switch and see if the connectory is burnt up at all. Otherwise you could try to wire in separate fuses to each circuit with the correct amp fuse and install a larger one in the fuse holder. That way the circuit that is at fault will blow the low amp fuse and the other things will keep working. You need a wiring diagram to test circuits. Just to worn you that Mercedes diagrams are difficult to read until you get used to them.

07-15-2010, 03:10 AM
agree with eclass,

- 64 Fuse should be 7.5 A so make sure it is not any smaller than that.

- also try to drive with headlight switch in off position and climate controls all off. If fuse doesn't blow this time you will know that the cluster is OK. Then switch climate controls on, if it blows then it is something with climate control circuits, if not then it is in headlight switch circuit.

At least we will know what to focus on.

Add your comment to this topic!