Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What lights the Lock, Unlock button on the door?

happydog500
12-10-2009, 08:29 PM
I noticed on the front door, inside, the button to lock and unlock the door is lit up on the passenger side, but not on my side.
I can't find anything about it in my books.

Does it have a bulb? If not, what would be wrong?

Not seeing a bulb in the list of bulbs for my car gives me the impression it's not a bulb.

Thanks for any info.

Chris.

imidazol97
12-10-2009, 08:48 PM
I noticed on the front door, inside, the button to lock and unlock the door is lit up on the passenger side, but not on my side.
I can't find anything about it in my books.
Does it have a bulb? If not, what would be wrong?
Not seeing a bulb in the list of bulbs for my car gives me the impression it's not a bulb.

I suspect it's a small 12 v bulb like in the radio and heater controls or in the switches built into the steering wheel if you have the rocker switches there for radio and heater. There are several sizes tiny bulbs involved in different places. People have unsoldered them and replaced with some from Radio Shack or from online sources, sometimes at a high price. Some of the bulbs have a thin blue cap to give a tint. It requires fine soldering skills at least on the steering wheel.

happydog500
12-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Guess I didn't ask the right question. Is it the kind of bulb that can be taken out and replaced like dome lights?

No switch on the steering wheel.

I was hoping it was the kind you can change easily.

Thank you,
Chris.

imidazol97
12-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Guess I didn't ask the right question. Is it the kind of bulb that can be taken out and replaced like dome lights?

No switch on the steering wheel.

I was hoping it was the kind you can change easily.

Thank you,
Chris.

It will be like the ones on the steering wheel or inside the heater and radio. They are soldered to the tiny circuit board. I have not disassembled one, but I'm inferring that because the light is the same as the tiny bulbs in the steering wheel switches in appearance of the light given off. The usual method is to replace the whole switch and the bulb comes with it.

padriver
12-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Yep, the bulb in that switch is not serviceable, at least not officially :D.
It's a soldered miniature bulb with a blue plastic cap to produce the greenish light. Mine was bad too, but luckily I had a similar type at hand. Replacing it was not that hard. Or you could go LED while you're at it.

I have a picture of the disassembled switch and the bulb, but unfortunately attaching a file doesn't seem to work at the moment... :dunno:

dpalomaki
12-15-2009, 01:58 PM
The miniature bulbs in the radio, heater controls, steering wheel controls, and several other palaces can be replaced by a #8111 bulb. The #8111 is rated for 14 volts, 10,000 hour life, so they should hold up OK. If you use a 12 volt lamp it will not last its rated life because a car electrical system tends to run at around 14.5 volts while running.

You need to have some skill at soldering on small circuit boards. If you bulbs have the blue fplastic filter, you willwant to replace it to maintain the same white color light, other wise the lamps will give an orange cast.

happydog500
12-15-2009, 03:14 PM
If I can get a replacement button at a wrecking yard, maybe that would be easier?

These are very good tips. Just what I was looking for. Then again, the cheapness in me might fix the old ones. Interesting how both (lock and unlock) went out at the same time. Does one bulb light both, or is there one for each?

Chris.

padriver
12-15-2009, 04:48 PM
One bulb. Lookee here (http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8217/doorlockswitch.jpg).

Pic shows the switch with the button removed.

happydog500
12-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Are there two solder points? That looks easy. Does Radio Shack sell that kind of a bulb?

I love pictures, thank you very much.

Chris.

dpalomaki
12-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Radio Shack offers a 12 volt version.

It is a T-1 bulb, 1/8" in diameter. It is sitting in a small socket/holder, but you can see the two wire leads. You need a tiny tip on your soldering iron.

The blue color in the photo is a plastic "glove" that is is a tight fit over lamp.

Add your comment to this topic!