Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 G-30 van wont start

oran781
12-09-2009, 09:28 PM
I have had this van for a year and a half now, 92 1 ton van 5.7L with 220,000 miles on it. When I bought it it ran fine, and it has been sitting for most of that time. I tried a few months ago to start it and it ran rough and when I put it in gear it would stall when I gave it gas, then wouldn't start back up till it cooled down. So I did a tune up, spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap, along with fuel filter. After replacing that stuff it ran really good, but then went down hill, it would crank longer till start up. Now it wont start it just cranks, but tries to start every few seconds, and runs on ether. I swapped out the TBI from a 90 silverado 5.7 to make sure the injectors were good and that didn't help so I don't think it's injectors. I am think that the fuel pump is not working the way it should, there is fuel getting to the injectors and coming out. I dont have a fuel pressure tester avaliable to me to check pressure, but i compared the van to truck and the silverado is putting out more fuel from the injectors than the van is. Am I correct in the fuel pump thery or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thanks for any info.

MT-2500
12-10-2009, 10:31 AM
I have had this van for a year and a half now, 92 1 ton van 5.7L with 220,000 miles on it. When I bought it it ran fine, and it has been sitting for most of that time. I tried a few months ago to start it and it ran rough and when I put it in gear it would stall when I gave it gas, then wouldn't start back up till it cooled down. So I did a tune up, spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap, along with fuel filter. After replacing that stuff it ran really good, but then went down hill, it would crank longer till start up. Now it wont start it just cranks, but tries to start every few seconds, and runs on ether. I swapped out the TBI from a 90 silverado 5.7 to make sure the injectors were good and that didn't help so I don't think it's injectors. I am think that the fuel pump is not working the way it should, there is fuel getting to the injectors and coming out. I dont have a fuel pressure tester avaliable to me to check pressure, but i compared the van to truck and the silverado is putting out more fuel from the injectors than the van is. Am I correct in the fuel pump thery or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thanks for any info.

Is it getting good hot blue spark to all plugs when no start?

If so you will need to check fuel pressure for up to specs.

You need a good fuel pressure gauge to test fuel pressure.
Squirts and just fuel to injectors do not count .
You need fuel pressure up to specs.
Can you hear fuel pump run 2 seconds key on prime up?
Does fuel pump run engine cranking?
Does the tank have plenty of fuel in it and good fresh gas?

oran781
12-10-2009, 03:51 PM
I have an in line tester for spark and it lit up on every plug. When it started on ether it leads me to believe that the spark is good. I actually dropped the tank to check for dirt, and had just a little amount of dirt in it. I have put about 10 gallons of fuel in it already it only had maybe a gallon or two before I added more. The fuel pump comes on right away when the key is turned on, and keeps running. It will run about 30 seconds to a minute after the key is turned on.

MT-2500
12-10-2009, 04:18 PM
I have an in line tester for spark and it lit up on every plug. When it started on ether it leads me to believe that the spark is good. I actually dropped the tank to check for dirt, and had just a little amount of dirt in it. I have put about 10 gallons of fuel in it already it only had maybe a gallon or two before I added more. The fuel pump comes on right away when the key is turned on, and keeps running. It will run about 30 seconds to a minute after the key is turned on.

You need to get a fuel pressure gauge on it and check for lose of pressure when it quits.
With TBI injection you need to see 9-13 lbs of fuel pressure.
Did you check fuel filter?
On that one you need to check fuel pressure on in or out line at fuel filter.

Also have that spark tester on one plug wire when it quits and look for lose of spark right before it quits.

Let us know the fuel pressure redings.

oran781
01-24-2010, 12:37 PM
I finally got to test the fuel pressure and I am getting 12 psi, which is within the range you said. The fuel filter has been replaced twice so far.

MT-2500
01-24-2010, 02:51 PM
I finally got to test the fuel pressure and I am getting 12 psi, which is within the range you said. The fuel filter has been replaced twice so far.

If good spark and fuel pressure aand it will start on starter fluid.

You will ned to test for lose of injector pulse.
A injector testing noid light can be used to check injector pulse.
Also the injectors are usually fused.
Check all fuses and for 12 volts on one side of injector.

Let us know what you find there.

oran781
01-24-2010, 05:50 PM
I forgot to mention that it no longer starts on starter fluid. I also put a timing light on it and the timing was off slightly and I adjusted it. Which didn't make it start. I will check into the injectors and get back to you with what I found. I did try and swap the TBI from the truck, it's alittle older but mounted right up and still it did not run. I also checked fuses just to make sure it wasn't something that simple. I also checked for codes and I am getting a code 15, and my paper says it is a coolant sensor code, which I don't think has anything to do with this issue.

MT-2500
01-25-2010, 08:38 AM
I forgot to mention that it no longer starts on starter fluid. I also put a timing light on it and the timing was off slightly and I adjusted it. Which didn't make it start. I will check into the injectors and get back to you with what I found. I did try and swap the TBI from the truck, it's alittle older but mounted right up and still it did not run. I also checked fuses just to make sure it wasn't something that simple. I also checked for codes and I am getting a code 15, and my paper says it is a coolant sensor code, which I don't think has anything to do with this issue.

Check for 12 volts to injectors.
Recheck for lose of spark.
And see if it is getting injector pulse.
Timing can not be set without engine running and in bypass mode.:sarcasmsign:
Put the timing back where it was.

Let us know what you find.

Add your comment to this topic!