Page updated on 06-22-2018

Transmission... Still alittle confused

12-09-2009, 08:47 PM
I recently changed the fluid and filter in my 2001 GMC Jimmy 4wd. I bought both filters since I was unsure if i had a deep or shallow pan. The deep pan filter didn't seem to want to fit right. It wouldn't let the pan seat right to the bottom of the trans. So I used the shallow pan filter. But after some searching I'm alittle confused. From what I've read the deep pan is stepped toward the rear of the pan. Making it shallower but not by much. Thats what my pan looked like. So is that how the deep pan filter fits, real real snug or was I right to use the shallow pan filter with the pan I have? I have seen a lot of different information on which pan is on this vehicle.

12-23-2009, 11:01 PM
If you have the deeper pan, you really should go with the longer, deeper filter. Using the filter for the shallow pan will work, but under acceleration, or turning, you could run the tranny dry. If you have a stepped pan to the back, you have a deep pan, plus its a '01 almost for sure has a deep pan. The deep pan filter is the same as the shallow pan one, but the snout is longer and the top of the filter has a plastic ridge all around it making the filter sit lower off the valve body and yes it should be right snug up to the valve body.

Add your comment to this topic!