Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Crankshaft Position Sensor?

C man
12-09-2009, 05:44 PM
So I'm thinking my CPS is going south. Seems about the right mileage. Doing about a 50 mile interstate run the other day and it seemed that my car missed. It happened about twice. Then the check engine light came on. Operated normal. Light went off when I drove again. Checked scan code and came up with P0341, intermettint camshaft signal. Checked all-data today and it said camshaft/crank signal faliure or something to that degree. So today I did a 6mile drive. 30 minutes later I start the car and 3 seconds later I shuts off. What about 5 seconds, starts up normal, no check engine light. Been driving around all day nothing.

Does this sound typical of CPS faliure? Also I read somewhere that you should replace Crank shaft pulley bolt in the process. Is this true? Plan on doing the job soon especially if it happens again in the next day or two.

maxwedge
12-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Older models are prone to ckps failures. The bolt only should be replaced if damaged. I would replace the sensor on GP, as you can get stuck somewhere with this failing.

C man
02-26-2010, 04:08 PM
:iceslolan Finally Fixed!!! The problem was my camshaft position sensor. I changed out the crank sensor the other night but my check engine light came back on this morning. It pretty warm today so it came on faster. Same P0342 code so I went and got a Cam sensor and changed it out in about 30 minutes. Pretty easy. Would have been real easy to do when I did the crank sensor but then I wouldn't know what the problem really was. I have driven around 30 miles and no check engine light.:bananasmi

I used a duralast replacement. Most people knock them but I not had a problem with the duralast electrical product line. The rotors on the other hand were crap. I have a duralast coil pack, cam sensor, crank sensor, air temp, sensor, and plug wires. :biggrin:

Even though I wished I changed out the cam sensor first I don't feel to bad becuase I would imagine that the crank sensor would have went soon. So better to kill two birds with one stone. Now all I have to do is change out my my power steering pump. :shakehead

Prof_h
03-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Can you provide a detailed explaination of how you changed out those sensors? How tough was it?

C man
03-05-2010, 03:15 PM
The cam sensor is very easy to replace. In hind sight I would have did that first. All you have to do is take of the tire and remove the splash shield. I used a long 10mm socket and 1/4 in ratchet. The screw doesn't have a lot of torque at all. You can change that in 30 minutes or less.

The crank sensor is a little harder especially doing it for the first time. I used and extension bar and the bump starter method to break the bolt loose. It's a 24mm socket. I bought a harmonic balancer puller from autozone and got the right size bolts from home depot. The harmonic balancer should come off easy. If it doesn't your doing it the wrong way. I had the puller on backwards at first. Take of the crank sensor replace with new one and reassemble. you can push the crank pulley back on. You also need a crow bar to insert into the fly wheel to tighten the crank bolt back down. I used a screw driver and turned it into a U :uhoh:. So I just tightened it down as much as I could until the crank started to move. No problems as of yet. I will do it properly it the future but am exhausted from car repairs.
My power steering pump replacement turned from cheap and easy to messing up 4 out 5 wheel studs from a loose wheel nd cost me $100 to get new ones to put in instead of $10 for the rebuild kit and three days of frustration because I thought it was something else. :owned:

Can give more details if needed.

Add your comment to this topic!