Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Radio/CD removal

Prof_h
12-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Can anyone give detailed inforamtion on how to get the old radio out? Do I have to take off the instrument panel? I was able to change the cabin air filter, so I can probalby handle a radio change-out. At least I don't have to be a pretzel to get to all the parts. Ha Ha!:biggrin:

12-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Howdy, its a easy job. What year P/A do you have.

Prof_h
12-14-2009, 11:50 AM
I have a 97 PA, w/135,000mi. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

12-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Hi, I have a 2000 P/A so the radio removal should be the same. I'm going by my memory. You well need a putty knife or a flat head screwdriver to pry the dash moulding off. When you are prying be gentle. Start with the brown moulding around the head light switch. Also remove the other brown moulding on the right side of the steering wheel. With a little pressure it should pop right off. Next would be the dash piece on the left end of the dash that has the black defrost moulding on it. The whole piece with the black defrost hole should also pop right off with a little prying. The next item is the moulding under the last item you just took off. It has one or two 1/4 inch screws holding it on. That moulding goes from the left end of the dash over the steering wheel to the glove box. It's a little tricky to take this piece off because of the steering wheel. Just take your time and it will come off. Also use your putty knife for prying this long piece off. I think the radio is held in by either two or four screws. The radio has a large wire harness on the back. Just use your screwdriver to pry this off. The wire harness has a clip on each end that you will also need pry off. Unhook your antenna and replace everything the same way it came off. This job is not hard but be careful and take you time. You can do this.

Add your comment to this topic!