Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Losing power steering fluid

4xbill
12-08-2009, 09:09 AM
I have a 2000 Venture and over the last couple of months I've been having to add about 4-6 ounces of power steering fluid every two weeks or so. I can't seem to find any visible leaks or have fluid puddling on the floor.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I could locate the leak?

Thanks.

inafogg
12-08-2009, 12:33 PM
if you dont see any fluid its possible the rack n pinion is leaking inside of inner tie rod boot.take the clamp off the boot or put a little punture in boot to see if you have any fluid inside.if so the rack needs replacement.remember there is 1 boot on each side.Good Luck

4xbill
12-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks Inafogg. I won't be able to work on it until this weekend, but I'll start there.

4xbill
12-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Okay, I got a chance to crawl around under the vehicle today and here's what I found: I wasn't able to identify the leak but the right side of the car is where it occurs. The rack and pinion boot is covered in fluid on the bottom only. One of the lines running to the power steering gear from the pump was coated in fluid and most of the undercarriage on that side of the vehicle was coated in fluid. It almost looks like it sprayed from somewhere but when I ran the vehicle and turned the wheel from left to right I couldn't see anywhere it was leaking from. This sound familiar to anyone?

inafogg
12-13-2009, 07:11 PM
did you turn the wheel all the way so you put a strain on it??
could be a small hole in metal line.
get a can of engine degreaser spray it all down including floor
its very easely ignited & rinse with garden hose
then if you can put on jack stand have some1 turn wheel lock to lock
while you look from underneath

4xbill
12-18-2009, 09:22 AM
I tried most of that. I cleaned everything as best I could with a rag then crawled under the car and had someone turn the wheel, but not from lock to lock though. I'll give it another shot and try it the way you suggested.

Add your comment to this topic!