Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

'94 S10 4L60E no 1st or 4th gear, just rebuilt

malibulvr
12-08-2009, 01:51 AM
'94 S10 Ext Cab 2.5 4cyl 4L60E trans 4.10 rear axle 1GCCS1942RK146565

I am at my witts end with my truck.....:banghead: Bought it and while driving it home was a little low on fluid and slipped , then popped back into gear . Filled it back up and test drove it all of a sudden no 1st or 4th gear and no O/D. Asked around was told something internal due to the circumstances. Pulled the transmission and had professionally rebuilt. Clutches were worn badly and had a drum drum gear or something cracked. Put the trans back in and low and behold same problem, no 1st or 4th gear , and no O/D! Called the guy who built it said to replace the #1 shift solenoid. Dropped the pan and installed new shift solenoids #1 and #2 just to be shure, also checked the harness inside the pan looked all ok. Test drove same problem again. Took to a well know and reputable trans shop, they checked it and said it has no 12V to shift solenoid #1. They do not do electrical work so I have to fix it. Replaced the ignition switch as some friends have suggested, but still same problem. I was told there is a way to bypass and wire 12V to trans plug in order to get to the solenoid but can't figure it out. Don't know which wire in the plug it is, etc... Please any help would really be nice. I have run out of $$$ on this thing and have to fix it somehow myself so I can just sell it and be done with it!

MT-2500
12-08-2009, 10:12 AM
First check for 12 volt key on power to transmission on pink/black solenoid feed wire fused ign/gauge wire .

The drop pan and see if 12 volt power power is getting to all solenoid.
If only power on some and not others your wiring inside transmission is bad.
They all should get power from the pink/black wire at the transmission plug in.

Get a test light and wiring diagram and find out what wire is bad.

Post back what you find.

The wiring inside transmission should have been checked by your transmission rebuilder.

malibulvr
12-08-2009, 10:23 AM
The transmission rebuilder did mention that there are sometimes problems with the internal harness in these transmissions, but that he had also checked the one in mine and seemed to be ok. I found a diagram of the plug but it is raining now and vehicle is outside so maybe tommorrow I can try again. Just to be sure, is the wire I am looking for with 12V into the tranny is black w/ pink stripe. If that is the correct one I had checked it yesterday and no 12V was presesnt with ignition switch on.

MT-2500
12-08-2009, 10:30 AM
The transmission rebuilder did mention that there are sometimes problems with the internal harness in these transmissions, but that he had also checked the one in mine and seemed to be ok. I found a diagram of the plug but it is raining now and vehicle is outside so maybe tommorrow I can try again. Just to be sure, is the wire I am looking for with 12V into the tranny is black w/ pink stripe. If that is the correct one I had checked it yesterday and no 12V was presesnt with ignition switch on.
Yes.
That should be the key on fused wire from ign/gauge fuse.

Post back what you find.

malibulvr
12-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Checked by a plug diagram and found the pink wire with black stripe is correct , and not the black wire with a pink stripe. Anyways, I have 12V present on pink wire with black stripe that goes into the Epin on plug. I was checking the black wire with pink stripe before.

MT-2500
12-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Checked by a plug diagram and found the pink wire with black stripe is correct , and not the black wire with a pink stripe. Anyways, I have 12V present on pink wire with black stripe that goes into the Epin on plug. I was checking the black wire with pink stripe before.
Remove transmission oil pan.
And inside transmission check for 12 volt key on voltage to all solenoids.
And for voltage getting threw transmission plugin.

malibulvr
12-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Drained and dropped the pan. Checked both solenoids no 12V present. Then decided to double check the pink/black wire at Epin plug in from before, and low and behold now it does not have 12V present. Had my son turn ign switch on/off multiple times same result, no more 12V on Pinkwire with black stripe going to Epin on plug in. I guess this is an intermittant electrical problem in the truck! I am so frustrated with this P.O.S. truck. I am heading out to get another multi-meter as I have been just useing an old style test light and want to rule that out. Then I m going to check for continuity between the Epin on trans plug and the terminals on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift solenoids. God help me!

malibulvr
12-10-2009, 02:20 AM
Ok, here we go again........Used the multi-meter and checked and found continuity between Epin in bottom side of plug to both sloenoids so I am guessing the internal harness is ok. Rechecked pink/black wire in truck harness at plug still no 12V present. So....I tapped into the pink/black wire near plug with 14-16ga wire. I did not cut the pink/black wire going back into the truck harness. Then I plugged in harness to transmission, checked and found continuity from the other end of my new wire all the way to the shift solenoids. So then I ran the new wire through the engine bay and firewall, and into the dash and fuse panel. Checked all of "PWR ACCY" and "PWR AUX" spaces and all were 12V hot all the time. Space #19 marked "4WD" already had wire added to it for the aftermarket cruise or CB or something so I didn't want to use that. I checked and found space #B marked "PWR WDO" was switched 12V with the ignition so I put my new wire into that space(the fused side), and added a fuse to it. A few seconds later the "service engine" light started flashing so I pulled the wire back out and the light stopped flashing but stayed lit . Then I turned the key off and on and the truck acts like the battery has gone dead will barely do anything. Any ideas on what I have screwed up now, let me know. Thanks by the way,for all of your help so far!!

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6954/0900c15280250470.gif

MT-2500
12-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Ok, here we go again........Used the multi-meter and checked and found continuity between Epin in bottom side of plug to both sloenoids so I am guessing the internal harness is ok. Rechecked pink/black wire in truck harness at plug still no 12V present. So....I tapped into the pink/black wire near plug with 14-16ga wire. I did not cut the pink/black wire going back into the truck harness. Then I plugged in harness to transmission, checked and found continuity from the other end of my new wire all the way to the shift solenoids. So then I ran the new wire through the engine bay and firewall, and into the dash and fuse panel. Checked all of "PWR ACCY" and "PWR AUX" spaces and all were 12V hot all the time. Space #19 marked "4WD" already had wire added to it for the aftermarket cruise or CB or something so I didn't want to use that. I checked and found space #B marked "PWR WDO" was switched 12V with the ignition so I put my new wire into that space(the fused side), and added a fuse to it. A few seconds later the "service engine" light started flashing so I pulled the wire back out and the light stopped flashing but stayed lit . Then I turned the key off and on and the truck acts like the battery has gone dead will barely do anything. Any ideas on what I have screwed up now, let me know. Thanks by the way,for all of your help so far!!

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6954/0900c15280250470.gif
Sounds like you taped the wrong power source.

Charge the battery back up.

Leaving key on for testing will run the battery down fast.

I show the ign/gauge or gauge fuse supplies power to transmission solenoids on pink/black wire to transmission plug in.

Are gauges woking right?

Check both sides of fuse for good power AND FUSE PLUGIN.
Also I have say some aftermarket fuse that were defective.
Be sure to try a good fuse and test for poer both sides.
Good luck

MT-2500
12-10-2009, 11:02 AM
The WDO is a power supply for electric windows.

Using power from that fuse should not make check engine light flash unless you have a problem in transmission.

Will transmission shift with 12 volt power to it?

If check engine light flashes with power to transmission pink/black pull codes and post back code no.

malibulvr
12-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I was thinking about this all last night, well really mean early this morning,LOL!, but when I spliced in the new wire to the pink/black wire near the plug at transmission, I did not cut the wire , I spliced into it and left it hooked up and intact into the truck harness. Do you think this somehow backfed through the system when I added 12V to the new wire and possibly fried something like ECM, etc... Sould I go back and cut the pink/black wire so it is no longer hooked into the truck harness?

malibulvr
12-10-2009, 12:17 PM
I have the battery charging now, but will have to find my book to know how to get the codes from it later today! thanks again for the help!

MT-2500
12-10-2009, 12:19 PM
It should not have fried anything fused.

Put 12 volts fused power to transnmission and see what it does.
If you get a check engine light check for codes.

MT-2500
12-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Jump pin A & B to get codes.

j cAT
12-10-2009, 06:19 PM
It should not have fried anything fused.

Put 12 volts fused power to transnmission and see what it does.
If you get a check engine light check for codes.

that sounds like a good suggestion....

malibulvr
12-10-2009, 09:04 PM
I let the battery charge low at 2v all day and checked it, reads 0.00-0.01V even with the charger hooked to it. I checked the battery in My Suburban and my Grand Marquis and they both checked at around 13+V so I know it's not the multi-meter. I guess something shorted out the battery or the battery just happened to go bad at this particular time. Shame cause it's only a few months old from Advance Auto Parts. I'll try to switch out the battery for a new one tommorrow and button the transmission back up. Also I guess i will go ahead and cut the pink/black wire so nothing can backfeed into the harness, unless you think I should leave it attached.

MT-2500
12-11-2009, 08:12 AM
I let the battery charge low at 2v all day and checked it, reads 0.00-0.01V even with the charger hooked to it. I checked the battery in My Suburban and my Grand Marquis and they both checked at around 13+V so I know it's not the multi-meter. I guess something shorted out the battery or the battery just happened to go bad at this particular time. Shame cause it's only a few months old from Advance Auto Parts. I'll try to switch out the battery for a new one tommorrow and button the transmission back up. Also I guess i will go ahead and cut the pink/black wire so nothing can backfeed into the harness, unless you think I should leave it attached.

If it is not getting power threw it cut and bypass it.
Let us know how it goes.

malibulvr
12-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Took the battery to the store and they checked it ok but low charge, so they charged it on their machine, load tested it, and gave it a clean bill of health. Anyway, I went ahead and cut the pink/black wire at the transmission plug so it would not backfeed 12V into the ECM or anything. Also changed fuse box location and hooked up the new wire to the #4 location for the gauges. I haven't put the fluid back into the tranny yet so I can't test drive it yet, but I did put in a jumper to the diagnostic connector and checked the codes. It is giving a few codes, flashed them all three times in a row..... 12, 67, 81, 82....and then it flashes them all over again. Did some lookin on the site and the net and only found trouble codes for my vehicle that go up to 66. ????????? Oh and just to correct my engine is a 2.2L I believe , instead of 2.5 like I posted earlier.

MT-2500
12-11-2009, 07:24 PM
81 and 82 are shift solenoid problems.
67 not in book.
12 is pass code.

Clear codes and retest.

Post back what comes back.

malibulvr
12-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Weather finally cleared up here. Verified 12V present at both shift solenoids with key on. Put the pan back on and refilled trans with fluid. unhooked battery for few minutes to clear codes. Took vehicle on test drive still same problem shifts one time and no lock up on the torque converter. Also when it shifts it is not smooth, kinda a hard shift, almost like it hesitates and reluctantly jerks into the next gear. Double checked fluid level ok also. "Service engine" light is not on, but installed jumper to the diagnostic connector, and got codes "44" and "82". What's next on this P.O.S......really needed to get my money back out of this stupid thing before christmas.

MT-2500
12-16-2009, 06:22 PM
44 is running rich code.
82 is a 1-2 shift solenoid/or solenoid wiring circuit problem.

Get a good repair manual and go threw the repair flow chart for code 82.
Double check the wiring circuit and solenoid.

Also clear codes and retest for what comes back.

Let us know how it goes.

malibulvr
12-16-2009, 07:52 PM
I know for sure that the 1-2 & 2-3 solenoids have 12V power to them. If there is something wrong with the 1-2 solenoid I replaced before would this creat the problem. Also if it is just a shift solenoid wouldn't the Torque converter still lock up. Could it be something in the ECM giving me the probs?

MT-2500
12-17-2009, 09:57 AM
The code is for the 1-2 shift solenoid or wiring circuit problem.
Could be bad solenoid or wiring or even in pcm.
Get a good repair manual.
Go threw the repair flow chart for the code.

Add your comment to this topic!