Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'93 Sentra shifter question

HeWhoKillz
12-07-2009, 12:40 PM
1993 nissan sentra question. After putting the shifter linkage back on it doesn't feel right. While in gear, any gear, it feels loose. I did take the cover off from beneath the car and saw a spring which I was wondering if maybe it was bad?
In this video I put the camera under the car and go through all gears showing how loose everything acts underneath. The video cuts off when I put the camera in the car but the shifter is in reverse and you can see me pull it towards me even farther.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tquxqPiGXVc

Any ideas?
I have also been searching online but I'm not having any luck. Can someone explain how these two shift linkages work? One connects to the transmission and moves that...nobby thing on the transmission back and forth. I think its the one that actually changes gears. The other one is hooked onto the bottom engine mount but I don't get why its there. The spot it hooks on to doesn't move.

jdmccright
12-09-2009, 09:36 AM
The two things most obvious to me are:

1) The lever on the left has a very loose bolt. You may also have some bolts with shanks that have been worn down in diameter from all the shifter actuation. Replace the bolts with the same length and diameter. The bolt diameter should be very close to the sleeve diameter in the bushing it bolts through. Any difference will feel sloppy. And make sure you use the nylok nuts so it doesn't fall apart on you.

2) You've got alot of worn or broken bushings connecting the shifter linkages. I see alot of play in each of those links as the shifter is moved and wiggled. Try to find some polyurethane replacements if you want it to feel solid. This tranny model may be used in another Nissan that may have compatible aftermarket bushings so don't limit yourself to just Sentra parts. Call Energy Suspension...they have an excellent database on what they have for PU bushings and what could fit your Sentra.

Good luck!

HeWhoKillz
12-09-2009, 10:32 AM
The two things most obvious to me are:

1) The lever on the left has a very loose bolt. You may also have some bolts with shanks that have been worn down in diameter from all the shifter actuation. Replace the bolts with the same length and diameter. The bolt diameter should be very close to the sleeve diameter in the bushing it bolts through. Any difference will feel sloppy. And make sure you use the nylok nuts so it doesn't fall apart on you.

2) You've got alot of worn or broken bushings connecting the shifter linkages. I see alot of play in each of those links as the shifter is moved and wiggled. Try to find some polyurethane replacements if you want it to feel solid. This tranny model may be used in another Nissan that may have compatible aftermarket bushings so don't limit yourself to just Sentra parts. Call Energy Suspension...they have an excellent database on what they have for PU bushings and what could fit your Sentra.

Good luck!

Are these bushings at the shifter end or the transmission end? Would I have to get the entire shift linkage?

jdmccright
12-09-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't know exactly what the link on the right is for but it looks to be the worse of the two...probably a vibration isolation link or other link to gain mechanical advantage. But the bushing on that appears to be pressed into the shifter end...I can actually see a round piece of the disintegrated bushing hanging from it as you move it. I don't know if just the bushing can be replaced (pressed in/out) or is molded into the shifter link. Energy Suspension shows a manual transmission shifter stabilizer (is that what it's called?) bushing set for sale, so I'm guessing they are press fit.

If that link's mount is really connected to the engine mount, then that mount may be shot as well. It should be firm. ES has motor and tranny mounts for sale too.

The link to the tranny looks wobbly and loose. Too difficult to see the kind of link end that is used (kind of a rubber u-joint type maybe) but the rubber (if any) and link pins are probably worn. You'll have to shop around for those parts...always better off replacing both ends since replacing one half will still leave the other worn half, causing premature wear on the new part.

HeWhoKillz
12-09-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't know exactly what the link on the right is for but it looks to be the worse of the two...probably a vibration isolation link or other link to gain mechanical advantage. But the bushing on that appears to be pressed into the shifter end...I can actually see a round piece of the disintegrated bushing hanging from it as you move it. I don't know if just the bushing can be replaced (pressed in/out) or is molded into the shifter link. Energy Suspension shows a manual transmission shifter stabilizer (is that what it's called?) bushing set for sale, so I'm guessing they are press fit.

If that link's mount is really connected to the engine mount, then that mount may be shot as well. It should be firm. ES has motor and tranny mounts for sale too.

The link to the tranny looks wobbly and loose. Too difficult to see the kind of link end that is used (kind of a rubber u-joint type maybe) but the rubber (if any) and link pins are probably worn. You'll have to shop around for those parts...always better off replacing both ends since replacing one half will still leave the other worn half, causing premature wear on the new part.

Well, I took the cover from underneath and on top of the shifter and the entire shifter shakes. Everything underneath shakes as well. Another question. I have one axle shaft left to put in, (which isn't going in well at all) the other side went in with much banging and shoving. If I started the car, will that hurt it? I want to see if the car will start. I'm almost done with changing this engine. I just need the shifter linkage put back together the one axle and radiator filled. With as cold as it is here(its snowing) I doubt the car would need the radiator filled to keep the engine from overheating if I'm starting it for a few minutes. But I didn't know if the axle needed to be in for starting.

jdmccright
12-09-2009, 12:46 PM
I don't wish to stray much further from my comfort zone, but as long as the tranny is in neutral and clutch is depressed, you should be able to start the engine w/o the axle installed.

I would not suggest starting it even for a short time without coolant, not because of damage to the engine, but damage to the water pump itself because the bearings and seals are lubricated by the coolant. And we know what happens to unlubed bearings...they seize. It's a PITA, but better than having it come back with another dead engine that cracked because the water pump seized.

Good luck!

HeWhoKillz
12-09-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't wish to stray much further from my comfort zone, but as long as the tranny is in neutral and clutch is depressed, you should be able to start the engine w/o the axle installed.

I would not suggest starting it even for a short time without coolant, not because of damage to the engine, but damage to the water pump itself because the bearings and seals are lubricated by the coolant. And we know what happens to unlubed bearings...they seize. It's a PITA, but better than having it come back with another dead engine that cracked because the water pump seized.

Good luck!

You don't have any tips on getting an axle in do you? Hammers and shoving aren't working for it.

Add your comment to this topic!