Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tranny squeal

extremnod
12-07-2009, 11:20 AM
1999 Concorde 3.2 auto trans. Have squeal in the mornings.Now that its winter It is louder and stays with the car for about 10 miles and then goes away. Summer u really cant hear it. Replaced Belts,,idler pulley's and flushed tranny,and they put in an additive. Squeal is still there. up on the hoist u can tell its coming from trans and not engine area. Is there anything to put in trans to quite the noise? I find it shifts great still. Only problem is its a little slow in getting in reverse. BUT if I warm it up for 5 minutes before I move,I have no problem. The noise is irrating and I am sure the neighbors do not like it and the people on the streets and fwys till it warms up. Any help would be appreciated........

extremnod
12-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I have read some articles about water pumps and timing belt....But I thought mine uses a chain,.....Anyone know for sure???

SpinnerCee
01-13-2010, 03:31 PM
The 3.2L has a Timing belt for sure... I also just recently noticed a squealing noise (Noertheastern USA, NYC -- several days/nights below 32F) -- it seems to be coming from the front engine area -- sounds like the water pump shaft seal may have failed, but I only think so because there is also a small coolant leak that appears under the car's nose after warmup -- the noise pitch changes with RPM, and sometimes almost sounds like a teapot whistle. Also have some trouble with tranny slippage if I try to drive immediately after startup, but never after warmup, so maybe it's just a symptom of the cold weather.

Add your comment to this topic!