Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cleaning Mould-Release Residue

TurboGuru
12-07-2009, 02:37 AM
Hi guys

I did some research on this (google) and found conflicting advice.

Many people say that warm water and a little washing detergent are enough to remove the mould-releasing residue on a resin kit...... whilst others say this is not enough and that some lacquer thinner is needed.

Are both arguments right?.... hence if the residue hasn't come off with warm water/detergent then move straight to lacquer thinner.

I'm a little cautious of using lacquer thinners ever since I once dipped a styrene kit into it and it completely melted the styrene body. I understand my mistake now in that the lacquer was wayy too hot for it.

Can a resin kit handle it? Or does it require a cooler type of lacquer thinner.

I recently ordered a few bottles of 'White Vinegar' to clean my etching parts, would white vinegar work on a resin body to remove the mould-release residue?

I guess I could just try washing it with water and detergent and see what happens. Only concern is that there might still be residue on the kit even though it looks clean (invisible)... I would want to know for sure that its completely gone.

Thanks

gionc
12-07-2009, 02:56 AM
I see much confusion.

Obviously there are several products to be used on differents medias, printed with different technologies and different mold releases agents....

- On plastic (styrene) a dish soap is good. Obviously laquer thinner would affect it.

- On resin you'll carefully use Toluene (Nitro) or Laquer thinner or Acetone. Some resisns would be affected by it, so do it carefully. You'll use vinegar but is most to wash and degrease a primed/painted body than to prep a new part: vinegar can't do much against sylicones, reduce vinegar with distilled water.

- On PE parts you will use Toluene/Nitro, and prime them with a transparent metal primer.

- On white metal parts you'll ever use Nitro.

koksik
12-07-2009, 04:31 AM
I used a Cilit Bang with green cap and work fine.
http://ilprofessore.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/cillit-bang.jpg
But must be green! Don't buy with purple.

TurboGuru
12-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks guys.

I don't know if we can get Toluene in the UK, but we certainly can get Cilit Bang (Green Cap).

I'll be sure to give that a try on the resin.

stevenoble
12-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Thanks guys.

I don't know if we can get Toluene in the UK, but we certainly can get Cilit Bang (Green Cap).

I'll be sure to give that a try on the resin.

Most lacquer thinners are toluene and xylene based. You can get a special solvent which removes all residues and mould release agents. I got mine from the local car paint supplier, 1 litre was only £5. I just decant it into a smaller glass bottle when I need it. It's generally called 'panel wipe' It can be used on plastic, resin, white metal and even clear plastic parts with absolutely no adverse reaction whatsoever. I've been using it for a few years now and had no problems with painting at all. You can even use it between coats of paint to remove sanding residue and such. It just evaporates away to nothing and leaves no trace.

This is the stuff Panel wipe (http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=635)

malscar
12-18-2009, 03:00 AM
You can also buy a product made by Testors. Although it is designed for plastic, I use it on resin kits. Called 'Plastic-Prep. Has a pinkish label. 236ml.

TurboGuru
12-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

I already took Steve's advice and got some Panel Wipe.... seems like volatile stuff! :bloated:

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8928/panelwipe.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!