Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cooling System Problem

xX Goliath
12-06-2009, 11:55 AM
The low coolant light came on in my 1996 Cutlass Supreme SL (3.1L) about 3 weeks ago. I checked the reservoir and it was practically empty. Put more in and last week the light came back on. The engine wasn't running hot, so I just continued to drive it to school (I only drive about 10 miles everyday).

This morning, I filled the reservoir and let the car warm up (which took forever). I drove it around the block, to try to speed up the process, and when I returned the reservoir had not gone down at all.

I'm not a 100% sure how cooling systems work, so I have no idea what to do?

Here are some things that may or may not be helpful:
-The radiator cap was cold after running for 20+ minutes
-The radiator itself was warm, but I could hold my hand on it without burning myself.
-There was some splatter on the hood liner and a hose (I'm assuming this means that the water pump is leaking?)

Is there anything I can do before I have to have a mechanic pressure test it?

Mrbizness1
12-06-2009, 04:27 PM
With the motor cold remove the radiator cap to check the fluid level. Its possible you filling the resovoir is not enough to fill the radiator. The resovoir or connecting hose could have a leak, or one of the other hoses is leaking. I had a 2.8 Olds motor with a pin hole in the heater hose on the rear of the motor.

xX Goliath
12-06-2009, 05:01 PM
With the motor cold remove the radiator cap to check the fluid level. Its possible you filling the resovoir is not enough to fill the radiator. The resovoir or connecting hose could have a leak, or one of the other hoses is leaking. I had a 2.8 Olds motor with a pin hole in the heater hose on the rear of the motor.

Well, I think I know where the leak is (the water pump). I just don't understand why the antifreeze isn't going into radiator. Bad thermostat maybe?

aleekat
12-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Well, I think I know where the leak is (the water pump). I just don't understand why the antifreeze isn't going into radiator. Bad thermostat maybe?

Pressure test takes like 1 minute. That will tell you right away about the water pump. And throw away the original rad cap. Get a Stat. Autozone, advanced auto etc...

Add your comment to this topic!