Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 malibu. new radio only works if dash lights on

tivles
12-03-2009, 04:26 PM
i recently put in an aftermarket radio into my car...we had to change around some of the wiring in the actual harness attached to the car to align the wires correctly...but the radio only works when the dash lights are on...which means i have to turn on my headlights when i drive. the constant for the power works, meaning i can put in and take out a cd with the dash lights off...but it doesnt play or light up.

i undertand that i can run a wire to the battery to solve this problem, but i was wondering if anyone else had this issue, and was able to solve it with out doing so!

if anyone could help this funny little problem itd be great :)

sickcars
12-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Find another constant power source, there are a few of them inside under the dash. Look for the big red wire going to the main connector that is usually the ignition wire and a constant power. There is a key on power source there too. This is what I have used in the past and had no problems.

I hope this helps

Scott Dunn
12-04-2009, 10:06 AM
You have to power wires wrong. There is one power wire that works the lights in your radio - and one for main power. Switch your wires and see.

If you get it right. Turn on your lights and turn your dimmer up and down and you will see that your stereo lights should do the same.

Add your comment to this topic!