Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Overheating Issues.

ss101504
12-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Recently My 92 Caprice (305) Has Been Overheating On Me. Whats Happening Is Ill Have The Heater On, And Suddenly It Stops Blowing Hot Air, And Then The Temp. Rises As I'm Driving. Itll Even Do It When The Heaters Off. But Yesterday The Temp. Jumped Into The Red, Than Suddenly Dropped. I Tried Just Sitting In A Parking Lot With The Engine Running, And The Heater On, And It Never Got Hot. Also Itll Usually Cool Off When I Either Slow Down, Or Come To A Stop. I'm Thinking The Water Pump Might Be Going Out (Seems Like The Only Logical Solution). I Dont Think Its The Thermostat, Cuz I Replaced It Here About 2 Monthes Ago With A 186 Degree Thermostat. Not Sure If It Matters, But It Started After I Changed Out The Spark Plugs, Plug Wires, Distributor Cap, Rotor, PCV Valve, Fuel Filter, Ignition Coil, O2 Sensor, Oil, Oil Filter And The Air Filter. Any Help You Can Provide Would Be Greatly Appreciated!

silicon212
12-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Sounds Like A Plugged Catalytic Converter Perhaps. Especially If The Engine Seems To Lose Power The Faster You Drive.

j cAT
12-03-2009, 11:15 AM
when the engine overheats AND you do not have any pressure in the coolant system the coolant will boil...this is when the heater stops blowing hot air. THE WATER PUMP PUMPS WATER NOT AIR.

YOU may have a defective thermostat buy a high quality stant..I believe you require a 195deg.or the 190 deg. .......

coolant pressure loss must be checked..pressure test ///when hot overheating are the hoses hard ? if not the cap or the coolant system may be leaking loosing pressure.

Lastly a blown heat gasket will exactly do all that you described
GOOD LUCK

j cAT
12-03-2009, 11:20 AM
FORGOT TO MENTION

if you live where it never freezes you still need antifreeze...of 50%...
this chemical will prevent metal corrosion and gasket / water pump failures.

CD Smalley
12-03-2009, 12:51 PM
You have a failed lower radiator hose I believe. The spring inside of it specifically. Driving the car at speed it will overheat and it will cool down when you slow down or stop? The hose is collapsing at speed preventing the coolant from being pulled into the engine itself. Slowing down, reducing RPMs, lessens this pull and the hose is able to allow the coolant flow needed.

Squeeze that lower hose and make sure the spring is intact.

ss101504
12-03-2009, 01:55 PM
CD Smalley: Thanks, Defiantly Something Worth Looking Into. But Are You Meaning The Walls Are Springy? Cuz I got This Image Of An Actual Spring Just Sitting In The Middle Of The Hose.

J Cat: THanks, I Will Check For Loss Of Pressure, And A Bad Seal. As For The Thermostat, I Run A 186 Degree, Cuz Its 110 Plus In The Summer (Which Was When I Replaced It Last). And I Do Run 50/50 Antifreeze Year Round, Along With Bottled Water In The System

Silicon212: Thanks, The Cat Is Something I Should Look Into, Seeing As The One I Got Is Proally From The Factory. But The Only Time She Looses Power Is When She Overheats, Or In Church Parking Lots.

Blt2Lst
12-03-2009, 03:00 PM
But The Only Time She Looses Power Is When She Overheats, Or In Church Parking Lots.

Sounds like your car does not like church..:screwy:

j cAT
12-03-2009, 08:12 PM
CD Smalley: Thanks, Defiantly Something Worth Looking Into. But Are You Meaning The Walls Are Springy? Cuz I got This Image Of An Actual Spring Just Sitting In The Middle Of The Hose.

J Cat: THanks, I Will Check For Loss Of Pressure, And A Bad Seal. As For The Thermostat, I Run A 186 Degree, Cuz Its 110 Plus In The Summer (Which Was When I Replaced It Last). And I Do Run 50/50 Antifreeze Year Round, Along With Bottled Water In The System

Silicon212: Thanks, The Cat Is Something I Should Look Into, Seeing As The One I Got Is Proally From The Factory. But The Only Time She Looses Power Is When She Overheats, Or In Church Parking Lots.

the 186 deg f thermostat in your high heat weather , will not cause any problems...I just was meaning that the new thermostat may be defective..I have had this happen before...

CD Smalley
12-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Actually a metal spring inside of the lower hose to keep it from collapsing.

ss101504
12-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Oh ROght On. I Didnt Know There Was A Spring In There. And Thanks. Ill Pull It Tomorrow Just To Check. But Earlier I Popped My Hood And Heard A Weird Noise Coming Form The Water Pump Area. Could That Mean That There Might Be A Problem With It, Or Could It Just Be Another Chevy Noise?

Add your comment to this topic!