AC/Heater blower not working?

rioscos
12-03-2009, 01:24 AM
I have an 01 honda civic lx. The blower turns on for about three seconds when I start the car. After that it turns off. There is no air flow coming from the vents. I tried replacing the blower relay under the hood and that didn't work. I tried to see if the fan spins freely with a finger and it does. I don't know what else I can do. Could it be the transistor? If so can I test it with a volt meter? What should it read? Thanks.

Copytech99
12-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Try this test, it should make the fan run at high speed during the test. When I did the test my light stayed on at the end.

The heater control panel has a self-diagnosis function. To run the self diagnosis function, do the following:

1. Turn the fan switch OFF

2. Press and hold the recirculation control switch and the rear window defogger switch down.

3. Turn the ignition switch oN ll

4. Release both switches. The recirculation indicator and the rear window defogger indicator come on. The recirculation indicator goes off 3 seconds later and the A/C indicator comes on. then the self-diagnosis will begin. About 10 seconds later, the self-diagnosis will finish and the A/C indicator goes off.

If any trouble is found. the recirculation indicator blinks the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) to indicate a faulty circuit or component.

If the system is OK, the recirculation indicator stays off.

If you want the procedure for testing the transistor I can send it to an e mail address.

rioscos
12-04-2009, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the info! I will test asap and keep you posted. If its not too much trouble, can you send the test for the transistor to my email address...riosm01@hotmail.com. Thanks, Marcos.

rioscos
12-08-2009, 03:38 AM
Thanks for all your help! It works! I soldered a resister on the transistor and it worked! Thanks again, Marcos.

Copytech99
12-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Glad you got it going but... Like I mentioned in the e-mail, I would investigate what the actual open component actually is and try to locate a replacement part to replace it with. Someone had mentioned it being a thermal cut fuse. If it is, the temperature will be marked on the body of the component. If you replace the tco with a new part remove your resistor.

malirulez
05-08-2010, 08:27 AM
My car is doing the exact same thing. Can you please email me the same instructions???

Copytech99
05-08-2010, 10:31 AM
My car is doing the exact same thing. Can you please email me the same instructions???

PM with an e mail address & I can send it.

The best I have been able to determine ( still not 100% sure ) the device that opens is a 114 degree C thermal cut off. If you can locate it on the transistor assembly it can easily be check with an ohm meter.

Add your comment to this topic!