Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 5.7 timing

spencerNreedley
12-03-2009, 01:09 AM
I have a 1989 chevy 4X4 I have tried to set the timing by disconecting the tan wire and setting time at 0 turn off motor reconect tan wire disconect ground to clear computer reconect start motor and it backfires through intake tried to drive it and the exhaust manifolds started glowing if I set the timing to were it runs descent it is way out there
I installed the motor and think I stabbed distributer right as it does run ok just wont pass smog till I fix this problm

Turbota400
12-03-2009, 01:28 AM
turn the distributor 180 degrees and try it. It sounds to me like it is 180 off.

MT-2500
12-03-2009, 09:39 AM
turn the distributor 180 degrees and try it. It sounds to me like it is 180 off.

The poster says it runs.
If 180 out it will not run.

MT-2500
12-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Any codes?
Make sure you are using right timing mark.some have two sets.
Check no piston for top dead center on compression stroke with time mark at 0 degrees.
Back fire sounds like a cross fire.
Double cehck firing order and cap and rotor and plug wires.

spencerNreedley
12-03-2009, 10:58 AM
No the truck runs fine just cant bring the timing down to were it is supposed to be the backfiring is when you romp on the throttle also it loses alot of power so I have to set it at Im guessing 18 dgrees or so to run right but that is making my idle high and my fuel millage is terrible

MT-2500
12-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Is dist set right?
No 1 piston on TDC compression and dist rotor to no 1 cylinder?
And the timing marks at 0 tdc
And bypass wire unpluged?

If so and the right timing mark you should be able to adjust it down to 0 degrees.

Any check engine lights?

spencerNreedley
12-03-2009, 03:51 PM
I figurd I set the distributer right can 1 tooth off allow it to run good but not allow you to set the timing at the right setting

MT-2500
12-03-2009, 04:00 PM
I figurd I set the distributer right can 1 tooth off allow it to run good but not allow you to set the timing at the right setting

Yes on run but not real good.

No 1 piston TDC compression stroke point the rotor to no 1 plug wire.

Make sure piston is on compression stroke AND WHEN IT HITS tdc and and timing marks are right SET THE DIST ROTOR TO NO 1 PLUG WIRE.
Let us know how it goes.

2000CAYukon
12-03-2009, 05:22 PM
I wonder if the harmonic balancer has shifted. The rubber can deteriorate. If the #1 piston is moved to TDC on the compression stroke is the timing mark even close to 0?

//2000CAYukon

spencerNreedley
12-05-2009, 06:47 AM
I think it is the harmonic balancer too because I stabbed dist again made sure TDC I have set distributors many times just this time I over thought it I guess but one last question the wire you disconect I have been disconecting a purple wire thats at back of the motor only one that is able to disconect and looks like other conectors I have disconected to do timing in the past but I am told it is supposed to be a tan wire with black stripe if so were is it was told behind glove box anyone know for sure

MT-2500
12-05-2009, 09:56 AM
At no 1 TDC the timing marks on pulley should be at 0 degrees.

The book says near dist on the single wire tan/black wire connector.

I have found them taped to wiring harness under the plastic cover on firewall in front of heater core.

Also I have found it under edge of carpet under heater box inside cab and some behind and under glove box.

tblake
12-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Where was the tan wire you were disconnecting? I remember there being an O2 wire near the distributor that was tan and when disconnected would not allow you to time it. Made that mistake before. (why the F wont this truck let me time down to 0 degrees?), turns out I was unplugging a wire to the O2 sensor rather than the timing wire! Found the right wire, and went well from there on out. The base timing wire, when disconnected, will completly change the idle of the pickup. It will sound like a completly different motor. Thats how you know you have found the right wire.

spencerNreedley
12-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks for all the reply But I was disconecting wrong wire was told the torq lockup anyways found the wire hiding deeper in the loom finally got it to set timing were I wanted it

MT-2500
12-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all the reply But I was disconecting wrong wire was told the torq lockup anyways found the wire hiding deeper in the loom finally got it to set timing were I wanted it

You are welcome and thanks for posting back how it went.
Was it on or taped to the wiring lome on firewall in front of heater core?

Add your comment to this topic!