Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Honda Civic cx value???

nkyoung
12-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Hi,

I'm wondering if you can help me with figuring out what this car would be worth. We are looking at buying a 1990 Honda Civic cx for a new driver.

These are the issues with it:

1. The tranny needs some work (it's slipping)
2. The tires need to be re-aligned
3. The rear defroster grid needs to be fixed
4. The driver side door moulding needs repair.

I have never purchased a car before, so I could use some guidance!

Thank you!

Natalie :)

akboss
12-02-2009, 08:45 AM
I took a quick look on the Kelly Blue Book (USA only) and put in some general assumptions about your car for mileage and condition and it brought up a private third-party cost between $2600-3400 depending on condition. With the problems you're describing, I'd say it's below the bottom end here, especially with a potentially expensive tranny fix - is the car auto or standard transmission? The work on this alone could be well in the area of $1000-1500. I wouldn't pay more than $2000 for the car, assuming it's generally in good condition.

Best advice - talk to the seller and get a quote from a local shop that knows Honda's, that way you know what you're in for to get the car back to working order. Also, make sure the timing belt has been changed, especially if the car is at or over 150,000 Kms. This is about a $750 job and if you don't do it, it will destroy the motor.

Honda's are good cars and it's a worthwhile investment - but don't make the assumption that you'll get a 'steal' by picking up a cheap older used car. As parts wear out they can be expensive to maintain. Depending on your driving habits, plan to budget $1500-2000/year for maintenance and work this into your cost.

Shpuker
12-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I'd say avoid that one if you can and look for another one. Not worth the risk, those things are all over the place

akboss
12-03-2009, 07:18 AM
I'd say avoid that one if you can and look for another one. Not worth the risk, those things are all over the place

It's true, with such a variety of problems it could be that it had a careless owner...most people get on that stuff and fix it.

automt
12-05-2009, 12:30 PM
I will say, If the price is good, go for it

wafrederick
12-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Avoid it and Hondas are very expensive to repair.Finding an used transmission which is very expensive,is slim to none and most of them probally went in the scrap pile.There is no such as a cheap car anymore below a thousand not worth driving and a huge POS.One reason why is most yards bought them running or not,removing the tires and wheels,cutting off the cat off and putting them in the crusher.

Shpuker
12-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Once again, I'll try to play nice :D

There are plenty of used cars for under a grand that are reliable. And finding a cheap transmission for any car is hard.

wafrederick
12-06-2009, 09:57 AM
No there is not,no cheap cars out there which 99.9% are junk which should go the junkyard and most yards bought them for scrap.Most cars in dealer only car auctions are going nuts in prices.My father is an used car dealer and gets this question asked most of the time for any cheap cars under a grand which he says no

Shpuker
12-06-2009, 03:01 PM
No there is not,no cheap cars out there which 99.9% are junk which should go the junkyard and most yards bought them for scrap.Most cars in dealer only car auctions are going nuts in prices.My father is an used car dealer and gets this question asked most of the time for any cheap cars under a grand which he says no

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action?toggleCpo=0&mkId=&mdId=&minp=0&prMx=1000&rd=100000&zc=80109&AmbMkNm=&AmbMdNm=&AmbMkId=&AmbMdId=&prMn=&stkTyp=U&cpo=&searchSource=QUICK_FORM&alMkId=&alMdId=
http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/overview;_ylt=AlSgV0y980ay71mDKB5.Ep2ArI14;_ylv=3? distance=300&location=Castle%20Rock%2C%20CO%2080109&sortcol=price&sortdir=up&askpricelb=any&askpriceub=1000&deliverymileagelb=any&deliverymileageub=any&listingtype=used
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?lastStartYear=1981&num_records=100&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=both&distance=0&address=80109&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=&start_year=1981&end_year=2006&min_price=&max_price=1000&seller_type=b&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&x=53&y=12&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=y&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&systime=&rdm=1260133192943

And thats just online listings........ going with your made up percentages, 90% of cars under a grand aren't listed online!!!!!

wafrederick
12-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Those are cars which yards would buy,pull the wheels and tires,cut the cat off and put in the crusher since the price of crush is now $200.00 a ton

Shpuker
12-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Those are cars which yards would buy,pull the wheels and tires,cut the cat off and put in the crusher since the price of crush is now $200.00 a ton

Just shut up, please.

those cars are all in good condition and would make good, inexpensive cars.

Gary L
12-08-2009, 07:35 AM
You never did mention how many miles are on the Civic.

I have owned a few Hondas and all were great cars. I could find a good used tranny for a Civic in a few phone calls to local yards but getting it switched could be expensive if you don't DIY.

Civics are a dime a dozen but if this one has been well cared for and can be had cheap it might be a good choice. I would not go over $1,000 for it with the issues you state and I would walk away if it even looks like it has not been maintained. It will probably need the timing belts replaced and that alone will cost you $600 at a dealer.

My 91 Accord wagon with 210,000 miles is still going strong and has never seen the inside of a dealers shop.

Gary

wafrederick
12-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Most prices of used cars are going nuts and it has been shown in the dealer only car auctions.Honda does have problems with their automatic transmissions.My father watched a Honda minivan go through and it was announced the transmission was rebuilt at 80,000 miles.Most yards buy the cheap stuff even running great pullling the wheels and tires off,cut the cat off and put them in the crusher.

NotoriousPhil
12-14-2009, 12:02 PM
wafrederick (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=265556) if you dont know what your talking about you shouldnt pretend especially for someone like Natalie who is looking for a honest and knowledgable person to lend her some guidance I can see why you were banned. Natalie the car will not be worth the trouble of replacing or rebuilding the transmission, also in many cases the rear window may need to be replaced if the rear defrost is not working, you never know could be a burnt fuse but probably not. Hondas are great cars but a 1990 no matter the mileage is going to become an expensive car even if you get it for cheap, not to mention that we live in canada and the body must not be in that good shape if it is a 90. In the end the decision is yours and yours alone but if I were you im sure you could find something with less headaches.

Phil Montreal

Add your comment to this topic!