Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2 Questions

The Silver Goat
11-26-2009, 11:51 AM
I picked up a 99 GM to use as a daily driver to keep miles off an 04 GTO. I'm hoping the GTO becomes a collector car given the demise of Pontiac.

I paid $6,600, a year ago, for it with 34K on the clock - she was a grocery getter.

She now has 74,000 on her and I'm new to Mercury and any little nuisances.

1st question: Are these 4.6 litre motors prone to burning a pinch of oil between changes? The former owner probably used standard oil and I'm a synthetics guy. Could this be it? I've checked everywhere on the motor and she's not leaking from any form gaskets.

2nd Question: I beleive the front head lights are the original bulbs. I say that because I'm getting condensation on the inside of the lense. I've put some lithium grease on the seal in the hopes that it would expand the seal and prevent this build up, but, no luck.

So, my question is: how do you remove the head light? It's the right front head light. Near as I can tell it looks to be a pain the but to get to so I'd thought I'd ask here hoping somebody else has had the same problem. I want to clean the inside of the lense before it goes yellow.

Any advice is welcome.

Blue)(Fusion
11-27-2009, 02:12 PM
You made a good choice with your MGM.

They do sometimes burn some oil. I've heard of them burning none to a quart of oil through a 3,000 mile OCI. Mine goes through less than 1/8 qt. through a 3,000 mile OCI. I used to use Mobil 1, but the price isn't worth it on this car, IMHO. I reverted back to the 5W-20 or 5W-30 synthetic blend Motorcraft. Works great on these cars.

FWIW, I ALWAYS use the FL-820S filter on these cars. The cheap-o ones don't have the anti-dain back valves needed to keep the oil in the top half of the engine. And they're quite a bit cheaper than most other brands.

I'm not too sure how to remove the headlight assembly. I know how to get the bulbs removed but not the assembly. Start by removing the black cover over the radiator, though. There are three tabs that simply turn so you can remove it.

way2old
11-27-2009, 03:41 PM
The lenses come out by removing the radiator cover. There are 2 locking tangs that pull up. Then the lens comes out. Usually if there is condensation inside the assembly,it is too late to help it. You might be able to apply some good quality silicone around the seal after you get the inside dry. A hair dryer blowing in the light placement hole will dry it out.

The Silver Goat
11-29-2009, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the advice gentlemen
Blue - I a firm believer in oem for oil filters.
Too Old - I should have thought about the silicone before, thanks

By the looks of it I'd have to take the entire front end apart to get the asembly out. Screw it - I'll deal with it when buld burns out. Should be the middle of winter when it '0' out...

Yesterday I changed out the plugs and had to tighten up the inner tie rod bolt. I had to replace the inner and outer tie rod on the left hand side a year ago becuase the rubber boot had broken and was squeaking. The manual sez between 35 and 47 foot lbs of torque. Never seen such a range before. I have been progressively working my way 47 lbs...which is where it's at today.

way2old
11-29-2009, 01:49 PM
The lens is easily replaced. Here is a drawing of the locking parts after you remove the plastic radiator cover. The cover is just clipped in. Takes about 5 minutes to take the lens out.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/way2old/GMarquis%20headlamp.gif.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!