Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

roaring noise

brinkz
11-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Ok here it goes, need the pros for this one. 89 civic dx, 1.5l, auto. I have been having a roar noise coming from the front end of the car since i got it. It gets louder and faster as the car speeds up. I shut the car off while coasting and the noise was still there. Drive or neutral dosent matter. The only time the noise goes away is when i do a hard right turn. There is no other noises, no pops or clicks, anything like that, and i cant seem to see anything that might be rubbing together. Any thoughts where to look would be great. Oh yeah i tried driving fast in reverse tonight, and the noise is not there.

Tony
11-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Its a wheel bearing, I believe its your Left side too if it goes away when you turn right. Should put a lot more pressure on it then and tighten everything up, making the noise go away.

brinkz
11-26-2009, 08:46 AM
ok i will give that a try, I have a new bearing so it's just a matter of getting it pressed into the spindle.

pbrizzle86
11-26-2009, 06:37 PM
if its a wheel bearing the noise will not go away when more pressure is applied to it, it should get louder.... thats just silly more pressure making it tighten up..... if that was the case just re tourque your axel nut and it would go away

Tony
11-26-2009, 11:06 PM
How do you think it makes noise? From loose bearings. Its definitely a wheel bearing considering its a "roaring" noise that happens at all times.

When the pressure is applied to it, it takes up the free space between the bearings and the races that wasn't there when the bearing was new, but is now from it being worn. When the races apply the pressure they were intended to apply on the bearings, everything becomes nice and quiet since that is the way they were designed. Thats my take on it...haven't been through that class yet and I could just be talking out my ass here.

DownToGround
12-22-2009, 04:26 PM
tony, tony.. i believe it is the backing plate/shroud rubbing against the back side of rotor.. had it happen a million times. makes a horrible noise.. try that.

Tony
12-23-2009, 12:45 PM
I don't consider that a "roaring" noise, thats just a damn annoyance, lol

I know exactly what your talking about and have had it happen to me a lot too, I hate those things.

brinkz
12-29-2009, 04:35 PM
well i know it's not the brake shroud for sure, cause it aint there no more. still havent had a chance to change the bearing yet though, no time to do it yet.

DownToGround
12-29-2009, 07:05 PM
with your car either on the ground or in the air shake the wheel feeling for play..

Add your comment to this topic!