Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help with fixing a "fish eye"

kiwaczek
11-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Wondering the best way to get rid of a "fish eye" in my paint. Should I strip the paint to bare plastic or send it down with different grids of send paper?
Thanks

MidMazar
11-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Be more specific. What type of paint did you use? Are the fish eyes on the base coat, then clear applied? Is it in the clear? How bad is it? Pics would really help us assess the problem alot easier.

klutz_100
11-25-2009, 02:25 AM
If your problem really is fish-eye (difficult to tell without photos :nono:), the there they are in all probability caused by surface contamination or water in the air pipes if you are airbrushing.

This can probably be saved by sanding back and then re-coating. It's definitely worth trying as this will be less trouble than striping IMO and what do you have to lose anyway?

You can see my results HERE (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=4214696&postcount=25).

A good method to check if you have sanded enough to recoat is to use the "water trick". When you think you have sanded back enough, hold the part under running water (moderate flow, not Niagra!). The water will simulate your next layer of paint. If you can't see the blemishes anymore, you are probably good to go.

Make sure the surface is very clean and free of oils etc. before you re-coat.

HTH

Add your comment to this topic!