Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is tranny completely done

dwainr
11-23-2009, 03:39 PM
I have a 1998 Rodeo 2wd with 199k. My ex wife had the vehicle until last year so i am assuming no kind of maintenance was done to the Tranny. When i got the vehicle last year among other problems i noticed that from a dead start sometimes the tranny would studder meaning it wouldnt just rev up but basically kinda studder until you backed off the gas and accelerated slowly. Funny enough i noticed when accelerating thru a sharp right turn at times it would basically slip the rpms would go high the engine would rev up and it would really jerk when the tranny engaged. I have read different posts that say after a long time of no maintenance to just leave it alone so i just kept my fingers crossed. Well it finally moved past just studdering and right turns. Now while in drive once it is supposed to shift to another gear around 30mph it just completely slipps, rpms go high because your foots on the gas engine revs up but speed slows down. At about 15mph you can feel it drop into a lower gear than it will accelerate but of course not above 30mph. It works fine in 3rd, 2nd, low and rev. So i decided to change the filter, and add new fluid, but not flush. When i emptied the pan, the fluid was very dark almost black, the magnet was covered with thick stuff not sure if thats fillings but fluid wasnt thick just dark. Well i put back a little over 4 qts, taking it thru the gears, then adding more for 3 times until it wouldnt take anymore. And of course still slips when shifting over 30mph. Is it a wrap for this tranny? The truck has 199k cant imagine spending too much on a newer tranny at this point. Do i have any options?

2000izusu
11-24-2009, 06:06 AM
199k is awesome for a 4L30E! but yeah it doesn't sound like good news. it sounds like the studdering was from lack of friction modifiers do to worn out fluid? is the rest of the vehicle worth a tranny rebuild? mike

p.s. try some lucas tranny fix, it is a long shot but some have had luck with this product and getting transmissions to stop slipping.

dwainr
11-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Actually i did put just about a quart of the lucas in with the new fluid, it actually shifted into the higher gear once since changing the fluid and filter but not consistently. Would it be a good idea to try to put any more fluid in since i have driven it sparingly in the past two days? I didnt quite get a full 4quarts in the unit and that lucas is really thick.

2000izusu
11-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Actually i did put just about a quart of the lucas in with the new fluid, it actually shifted into the higher gear once since changing the fluid and filter but not consistently. Would it be a good idea to try to put any more fluid in since i have driven it sparingly in the past two days? I didnt quite get a full 4quarts in the unit and that lucas is really thick.

did you under fill it? if you did you need to fill it full. fluid at 95 degrees and just spilling out the fill hole.

4L30e's are very sensitive to the fluid level. another product you might want to try is lubeguard (black bottle). it has a high content of friction modifieres. if lubeguard black won't stop the slipping nothing will. i understand it is sold at napa. mike

Link:
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-177/LUBEGARD+Highly+Friction+Modified+ATF+Supplement

Add your comment to this topic!