Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Miles or time after clearing codes ?

Smiff 24
11-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Does anybody know how many miles or how much time is required after
clearing the cel codes to pass emissions test ?
I reset my 01 rodeo this tues. nite, took it in wed. ,they failed it because it was too soon after resetting :mad: took it again friday afternoon and the same thing..
had about 75miles on it friday.
any ideas appreciated!

danielsatur
11-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Good question!
Example:
Do a Google ''Ford drive cycle''

xmiles of city + xmiles of highway = ?

A scanner will tell you, that it's still in the middle of a drive cycle.

An AutoScanner I/M Monitor status ''inc'' means incomplete drive cycle after a clear code.

Cat Fuzz
11-22-2009, 04:41 AM
A drive cycle is needed. It's somewhat specific but most people kind of accidentally complete one over time. There is a way to deliberately do one. Do a google search for OBD II drive cycle.

danielsatur
11-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Connect an AutoScanner to your DLC port, drive, and monitor.
The I/M monitors should be ''ok'' or ''n/a'', and no DTC's exist.

The ''inc'' incomplete, the vehicle was not driven enough to complete monitor.

The trick is to drive the fewest miles, but go through the drive cycle ASAP.
xmiles city driving + xmiles highway driving = complete drive cycle ''ok''

Smiff 24
11-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Hey thanks for the replies, found a couple of sequences to try....
gonna take it in again tomorrow, will let ya know what happens

Cat Fuzz
11-23-2009, 07:03 PM
A cheap $40 code scanner from Harbor Freight will tell you if your monitors are ready BEFORE you take it to emissions. Plus, you can pull your own codes. Handy Dandy.

ID_Mikey
11-23-2009, 07:05 PM
This worked for my ECU problem. Take both batt. terminals off and leave them off for about 12-14 hours. The ECU has a battery backup and in order to truly reset the ECU you have to let that battery backup die.

danielsatur
11-23-2009, 07:12 PM
You must go through a drive cycle, otherwise the inspector will say ''inc'' incomplete, you cannot pass inspection.
Smiff 24 wants to make sure his problem is fixed, befor inspection.

Cat Fuzz
11-23-2009, 07:14 PM
This worked for my ECU problem. Take both batt. terminals off and leave them off for about 12-14 hours. The ECU has a battery backup and in order to truly reset the ECU you have to let that battery backup die.

No reason to remove both terminals from the battery. Removing one completely breaks the circuit.

ID_Mikey
11-23-2009, 07:21 PM
No reason to remove both terminals from the battery. Removing one completely breaks the circuit.

Thats what I thought but he specifically said to remove both. So I went ahead and took both off. I mean it only took about thirty seconds longer to take the other one off just for safety sake:iceslolan

Cat Fuzz
11-23-2009, 07:29 PM

Also, I forget that not everyone knows this, BUT please remove the negative terminal FIRST and re-install it LAST. I've actually had people argue with me that it doesn't matter but you will get the pop of your life if you're wrenching on the positive terminal and accidentally touch the wrench to ground. Dead short. The wrench will get hot very quickly, could burn you and possibly weld itself to whatever you touched it to.

Smiff 24
11-24-2009, 07:44 PM
finally passed.. drive cycle just took longer this time than it has before.
thanks again for the tips:icon16:

Smiff 24
11-24-2009, 07:53 PM
You must go through a drive cycle, otherwise the inspector will say ''inc'' incomplete, you cannot pass inspection.
Smiff 24 wants to make sure his problem is fixed, befor inspection.

True, you only get 1 free inspection after failing then pay another $10
for another (very frustrating)

I have an actron scanner...lower end probally... all it does is pull codes
I dont think it tells you if the drive cycle is still runnin or complete.
Ill look at the manual & see.

Add your comment to this topic!