Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

bad idle in gear, intermittent

jeremy06
11-20-2009, 12:32 PM
1999 ford contour 4cyl, auto. Runs great driving, but at stop signs or lights it sometimes idles like crap! I was told I should clean or replace the maf sensor. Your thoughts, anyone have this going on? Ideas?

way2old
11-20-2009, 01:00 PM
I might look at the Idle Speed Control also.

dherzog62
05-17-2010, 04:10 PM
I am having the same idle concern. My Car MD Throws a PO171, PO340 and the P1383. The solution states that it was most likely the PCV valve. So I replaced this and let me tell you it is a bear, but I successfully replaced the PCV/ The Gramat and the Hose. This made no difference inperformance although it was obvious that the PCV valve etc had never been replaced since all was baked on. I am still left with a idle concern to the point of dying at stop signs as it roughly idles down to a stall. Any ideas are greatly appreciated as this could become a money pit real fast!

ladagosta
05-21-2010, 09:01 PM
First off...Is your check engine light on? Look for trouble codes. Autozone will read them for you
Also:
Check your fuel pressure
check/clean your IAC valves and motor
check EGR valve,
check PCV valve
check/clean MAF sensor.
check TPS sensor
hopefully this will cover most any issue that it may be.. post back and let us know how you made out..
when my son had this issue on his for probe it turned out to be the MAF (mass air flow) was faulty we cleaned it out as they wanted 200.00 to replace.. the car was over 15 years old so forget that cleaning it and replacing was enough to get her running smooth again..

jeremy06
05-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Status update, turns out the timing belt idler pulley(the larger one which is right below the waterpump pulley... had ripped apart.) retimed and still idles with a noticable miss. Looking for location of iac sensor.. any help?

Add your comment to this topic!