Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

High Mileage Opinion

rmorelle
11-20-2009, 09:50 AM
I am looking at a 2005 Hyundai Sonata V6 with 108,000 miles. Carfax has it listed as one owner, commercial vehicle. The V6 Sonata rates very well, but the mileage is giving me concerns. Any opinions, I am hoping to get 20 - 25,000 miles out of the vehicle before buying new in a couple of years.

akboss
11-20-2009, 07:12 PM
I am looking at a 2005 Hyundai Sonata V6 with 108,000 miles. Carfax has it listed as one owner, commercial vehicle. The V6 Sonata rates very well, but the mileage is giving me concerns. Any opinions, I am hoping to get 20 - 25,000 miles out of the vehicle before buying new in a couple of years.

New cars are built well and, with regular maintenance, are built to do high mileage. My father-in-law has over 300,000 Kms on his 2003 Chevy Silverado (drives it for work) and no major mechanical problems, but the tranny is starting to go.

Long story short it's probably a safe bet. Isn't a 2005 Hyundai still covered under factory warranty? I think so.

Shpuker
11-20-2009, 10:18 PM
New cars are built well and, with regular maintenance, are built to do high mileage. My father-in-law has over 300,000 Kms on his 2003 Chevy Silverado (drives it for work) and no major mechanical problems, but the tranny is starting to go.

Long story short it's probably a safe bet. Isn't a 2005 Hyundai still covered under factory warranty? I think so.

Naw I think the 05's were 100,000 miles or 5 years

Ray paulsen
11-21-2009, 06:51 AM

.High miles lower price, lower miles higher price is the norm when shopping, knowing how to seperate the two for fair value should be your only concern because same type vehicle with 70K can end up being a money pit while same vehicle with 108K will keep ticking way beyond 200K.

Buying any used vehicle is a simple process with 4 factors " history " test drive " mechanic " negotiate " if you allow yourself time to study each step it will lesson the chances ending up with a lemon, many consumers can't find the time for homework in this fast paced world we live in and will end up with a lemon.

If you want my advice how to start the buying process start with this link http://www.usedcartips.org/TESTDRI.html

wafrederick
11-21-2009, 11:43 AM
The Carfax report is not always right.My father knows an used car dealer that went to court sued by a guy saying there was a mileage problem which was on the Carfax report.It was after this guy bought the car this used car dealer.It was wrong,this used car dealer had a title check done and the mileage was right with the car going through 5 dealers.Plus this used car dealer brought this proof in court and the judge looked through it whom dismissed it.The judge told the guy to sue Carfax instead.You can get service records from the dealer sometimes by the vin,more accurate and Chrysler is one that can do this.Most people walk away from any vehicle with very high mileage and say this is a big problem.Any vehicle with high mileage will run great if it was maintained very well.

Shpuker
11-21-2009, 02:59 PM
The Carfax report is not always right.My father knows an used car dealer that went to court sued by a guy saying there was a mileage problem which was on the Carfax report.It was after this guy bought the car this used car dealer.It was wrong,this used car dealer had a title check done and the mileage was right with the car going through 5 dealers.Plus this used car dealer brought this proof in court and the judge looked through it whom dismissed it.The judge told the guy to sue Carfax instead.You can get service records from the dealer sometimes by the vin,more accurate and Chrysler is one that can do this.Most people walk away from any vehicle with very high mileage and say this is a big problem.Any vehicle with high mileage will run great if it was maintained very well.

CarFax is the most reliable system there is, sure you can ask a dealer to run a check themselfs, but they'll either charge you or simply say no.

The dealer had no way of knowing and CarFax states that they don't have every bit of information, only what is reported to them or one of their sources (pretty much everyone that takes reports).

Vehicles with high mileage are a bigger risk. you obviously don't get the concept of this crazy thing called the automobile. part wear out and break. This happens with use (mileage).

And seriously dude, learn what a space is. We use them after periods. <--- Space

wafrederick
11-21-2009, 03:15 PM
My father had a Chrysler dealership in my area do a service record record check on a Dodge truck he was looking at for free and faxed it to him.Did it since he gets factory Chrysler parts from this dealership and this dealership has been good to him.This guy bought the car from this used car lot and did the Carfax check himself.It was Carfax's fault with this mistake and the mileage was right on this car.My father's friend Rich worked on a Chevy van recently,with 300,000 miles on it which still runs great and the customer takes very good care of it even being maintained.Watch out,some dealers love to roll back the mileage on a vehicle on the odemeter and this is illegal.I know of another used car dealer that does this and has been caught once doing it.Another thing Shpuker,watch what you say abut me or I will report you about being slanderous.

'97ventureowner
11-21-2009, 04:40 PM
As stated previously, do a little research into the vehicle. If you can view any maintenance records and see what repairs were done and how often preventative maintenance was performed on the vehicle, that can go a long way in helping you determine if it would work for you. If regular maintenance was done on it, then there's likely a good chance the vehicle still has a lot of life left in it. Since the vehicle is an'05 that means it could have been put into use as early as the Fall of 2004 so there's at least 4 to 5 years use on it. That turns out to 20 to 25,000 miles a year which is only about 5 to 10,000 miles a year more than the average mileage a vehicle is driven in a normal year. With the advancements in modern vehicle systems adding more years of usability for vehicles, you should have no problem getting another 20 to 25,000 miles out of it (perhaps a lot more as well.) Just make sure the price you negotiate for the vehicle if you decide to buy it , reflects the higher mileage factor which should reduce the asking price.

Another thing Shpuker,watch what you say abut me or I will report you about being slanderous.

Okay, knock it off you two. This has been going on long enough. wafrederick, you don't have much of a leg to stand on based on your past history here, as some of your posts are questionable. Also try posting once in awhile without including references to your father, your father's friend, your friend, your neighbor, or anyone else. It gives a little more credibility to what you say.

drunken monkey
11-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Besides, it isn't slander if it is true; you really do need to learn to punctuate better in your posts.

Shpuker
11-23-2009, 02:31 AM
My father had a Chrysler dealership in my area do a service record record check on a Dodge truck he was looking at for free and faxed it to him.Did it since he gets factory Chrysler parts from this dealership and this dealership has been good to him.This guy bought the car from this used car lot and did the Carfax check himself.It was Carfax's fault with this mistake and the mileage was right on this car.My father's friend Rich worked on a Chevy van recently,with 300,000 miles on it which still runs great and the customer takes very good care of it even being maintained.Watch out,some dealers love to roll back the mileage on a vehicle on the odemeter and this is illegal.I know of another used car dealer that does this and has been caught once doing it.Another thing Shpuker,watch what you say abut me or I will report you about being slanderous.

So basically you think you know how your dad does business and you pissed at me for correcting you punctuation? Exiting

And I didn't say high mileage cars are bad cars, they can be great cars, but they're a higher risk

Hey look! <--- A space! :lol2: :dupe:

drunken monkey
11-23-2009, 05:31 AM
So basically you think you know how your dad does business and your pissed at me for correcting your punctuation? Exciting.

And I didn't say high mileage cars are bad cars, they can be great cars, but they're a higher risk

To quote the classics:
Pot meet Kettle.

akboss
11-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Do yourself a favour and get a more exciting car than a Sonata. Buy an old 5-series or a Mazda, or a VW with a turbo. I hate to see people buying boring cars - driving should be fun.

Shpuker
11-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Do yourself a favour and get a more exciting car than a Sonata. Buy an old 5-series or a Mazda, or a VW with a turbo. I hate to see people buying boring cars - driving should be fun.

Compleatly agree

Shpuker
11-23-2009, 05:37 PM
To quote the classics:
Pot meet Kettle.

That to me or him?

Ray paulsen
11-23-2009, 07:15 PM
That to me or him?

My guess is, it's to you, but then again a drunken monkey which is really a zui quan you can never figure what they say or what their next move is.

Keep it up Shpunker, I like your style

Shpuker
11-24-2009, 12:42 AM
My guess is, it's to you, but then again a drunken monkey which is really a zui quan you can never figure what they say or what their next move is.

Keep it up Shpunker, I like your style

If its to me, my dads a builder and I've convinced him to buy his last 2 Rams. I know how to form a sentence.

Oh and I'm not a 40 year old virgin, but thats beside the point
and You almost spelt it right ;)

Add your comment to this topic!