TKM Resin kits

Khier
11-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Did anyone dare to build a TKM kit? They offer unique subjects but the quality is terrible. Is there any means to straighten these cars and build them decently? And why on earth do they produce such crap? I mean if they can master a model that accurately, why do not they cast it properly, or let someone else do it for them?

ZoomZoomMX-5
11-20-2009, 10:01 AM
TKM...Totally Krap Models...for over 20 years. The guy lives in a time warp, his models haven't changed since he began. Some of the masters have potential, but his casting techniques are terribly sloppy, his chassis are so rough you'll cut yourself & need a tetanus shot. Don't be surprised if you find a stray bug, food particles, or pubic hair in the resin. Seriously. I'm not making that up...that's what people have found. It's just...awful. I bought a Lincoln MK VII back in the early 80's from him...it was so bad, worse than a soap carving, I eventually just threw it out. Could easily have ruined me for life on any resin.

I've seen some decent efforts to build his models...but it absolutely has to be a labor of love. They are awful, terrible, nasty models. You can tell he's incredibly cheap by the casting and poor quality. This isn't resin carefully mixed & poured into a nice mold and pressure cast. He does very few two piece molds, most everything is very simple open 1 piece molds, bodies slush-cast. Resin casting has come a long way since he started. He hasn't. He's the dark ages of resin casting. But worse.

They're not really "models"...they're more like bad folk art. Really bad.

360spider
11-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Wow, now I'm really intrigued! I've never heard of TKM, any pix of the kits?

jano11
11-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Same here.

Khier
11-20-2009, 11:50 AM

Ebay is full of them. The seller is called tkmmodels or something like that.

Khier
11-20-2009, 11:54 AM
TKM...Totally Krap Models...for over 20 years. The guy lives ..... like bad folk art. Really bad.

Exactly my impression. I was lured by the subjects and fueled with optimism several times to buy his garbage. What I wonder about is how could he master these models, because the masters do not look as bad as the castings. Secondly, why did not the other casters consider these interesting subjects he offers. For example, the only 1948 Packard I have ever heard of is made by TKM. Could it be a copy of the old metal promo (forgot the name) models? I do not think so. His models, bad as they are, do not have the cast iron surface roughness. But, on the other hand, the cast on bumpers and grills point to those old metal bombs.

hirofkd
11-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Did anyone dare to build a TKM kit? They offer unique subjects but the quality is terrible. Is there any means to straighten these cars and build them decently? And why on earth do they produce such crap? I mean if they can master a model that accurately, why do not they cast it properly, or let someone else do it for them?
The reason why you don't see any finished TKM kit is because they are simply unbuildable.

This is the content of TKM's Lincoln Mk.VIII kit. Notice the asymmetric body shape.
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/%7Exr2h-fkd/scalemodels/project/ford/mkviii/mkviii01.jpg

Totally inaccurate side profile.
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/%7Exr2h-fkd/scalemodels/project/ford/mkviii/mkviii11.jpg

Inconsistent resin mixture.
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/%7Exr2h-fkd/scalemodels/project/ford/mkviii/mkviii12.jpg

Uneven body thickness.
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/%7Exr2h-fkd/scalemodels/project/ford/mkviii/mkviii15.jpg

The chassis.
No, it's not because of the photo, but the axis are indeed not parallel, and the tires are deformed.
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/%7Exr2h-fkd/scalemodels/project/ford/mkviii/mkviii18.jpg

Seats and dashboard.
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/%7Exr2h-fkd/scalemodels/project/ford/mkviii/mkviii16.jpg

Interior tub
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/%7Exr2h-fkd/scalemodels/project/ford/mkviii/mkviii17.jpg

If you want to torture yourself, go ahead.
I bought mine before the age of online shopping with photos and what not, so what do you expect! (LOL)

jano11
11-20-2009, 04:38 PM
:yikes:
I'm sorry I've ever asked to see one of these things. Hopefully I won't have nightmares after seeing this thing.

ZoomZoomMX-5
11-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Exactly my impression. I was lured by the subjects and fueled with optimism several times to buy his garbage. What I wonder about is how could he master these models, because the masters do not look as bad as the castings. Secondly, why did not the other casters consider these interesting subjects he offers. For example, the only 1948 Packard I have ever heard of is made by TKM. Could it be a copy of the old metal promo (forgot the name) models? I do not think so. His models, bad as they are, do not have the cast iron surface roughness. But, on the other hand, the cast on bumpers and grills point to those old metal bombs.

Some of his "models" are based on the old aluminum promos (not sure if they're copies or modified), and they may be the better ones. As you can see from the Mk. VIII, that is your typical modern TKM subject.

360spider
11-21-2009, 12:51 AM
:yikes:
I'm sorry I've ever asked to see one of these things. Hopefully I won't have nightmares after seeing this thing.

+1...geez...

vrossi85
11-21-2009, 02:44 AM
I think we can knead a plasticine and looks better than the Totally Krap Models. (Am i over exaggerating? I hope not) :)

Ro

klutz_100
11-21-2009, 03:06 AM
i wonder what hiss feedback looks like on ebay?????

star21
11-21-2009, 03:46 AM
Those pictures look like the car was made out of wax (ala "House of Wax") and began to melt away. Eck! :banghead:

ZoomZoomMX-5
11-21-2009, 08:37 AM
i wonder what hiss feedback looks like on ebay?????

It's amazingly good. I have no idea why...

I think his handle is "scalingdown"...I don't see any models of his right now.

As for someone mentioning plasticene clay to better recreate a subject...I think that's what TKM may use on some of his masters to shape/detail.

Didymus
11-21-2009, 01:10 PM
The reason why you don't see any finished TKM kit is because they are simply unbuildable.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Tom/Desktop/icon_yikes.gif

So... aside from that minor detail, what's the problem?

Didymus
11-21-2009, 01:12 PM

So... aside from that minor detail, what's the problem?

Khier
11-21-2009, 02:19 PM
It's amazingly good. I have no idea why...

I think his handle is "scalingdown"...I don't see any models of his right now.

As for someone mentioning plasticene clay to better recreate a subject...I think that's what TKM may use on some of his masters to shape/detail.

hmmm... I thought it was tkmresin(models?) whom I came across his auction a couple of days ago. This one does not have the best feedback, 99.1% for less than 200 auctions.

I attempted once to start with his 51/52' pontiac. I was lucky it was not a banana shell. Something may come out good after putty and sanding. The grill and trim has to be cut away and replaced. However, after hearing about alernatives, like Tom Coolidge, I gave up the interest. It is much easier to swap the roof of a TC Pontiac (to get the hardtop), or perhaps ask Tom to do it. He loves making several versions of the same subject, or maybe he did it already.

But TKM models are not that bad after all. They remain ideal objects to practice putty application and sanding. With their unique banana shape, wonderful junkyard or repair workshop scenes.

The Yes Man
11-21-2009, 02:45 PM
That kit is simply unbelieveable :uhoh:

The seats are hilarious :rofl:

tuned.by.twenty
11-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Ouch. I have a hard enough time letting a part with a tiny air bubble go to a customer, but that pales in comparison.

Building this would be like restoring a classic car; by the time you're done, there's very little left from the original car (In this case, kit).

Khier
11-22-2009, 04:02 AM
[QUOTE=Didymus;6068241So... aside from that minor detail, what's the problem?[/QUOTE]

Twisted body shell, thick walls, blurry molded on details, resin cast glass, rough surfaces, poor interiors, fitting... fitting.... fiting..., besides useless wheels and inderside.

Just few to mention.

montelsc
01-26-2010, 06:47 AM
WOW! a tkm support group cool. I hate this guy i bought 2 kits from him (stupid me) and they didnt show up untill i put an open dispute with ebay and demanded my money back. They finally showed up and were terrible. Its alot of work i make my own chassis and they came out half way decent. I learned my lesson after the second time no more buying from this guy.. it's too much aggravation.

914joe
01-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Holy crap!!! That's horrible... How much does one of these kit's cost???

EnzoFXX
01-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Man, I've never seen anything like that... It's freaking me out!

montelsc
01-27-2010, 02:07 PM
These kits cost about 42.00 and then pray they show up an open dispute works for me. Then after 4 weeks it finally shows up ( hard to believe isnt it). I like the big cruisers from the late 60s to early 80s thats what he has so i get suckerd in. Im trying to post some pics of my 2 cars but im having trouble getting them on does anyone know how???

montelsc
01-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Lucky you! its an insult to resin everywere.

Add your comment to this topic!