Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Intredpid runs for a while then dies

BandVinodotcom
11-17-2009, 05:38 PM
I have a 94 Intrepid with about 60,000 original miles. Over the past year it has gradually gotten worse. I can drive it fine one minute and then all of sudden out of the blue it dies, sometimes it will crank back, sometimes it won't for a bit. If it does crank back there is no guarantee it will stay cranked. We just never know. I have had a local rip off shop put it on their computer for diagnosis and they claim they can't find it. Of course that was after 6,000 dollars for other repairs. (I know, more than the car is worth but it wasn't me paying it, it was the previous owner).

I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and cam sensor and still have the issue.

No codes come up what so ever. I have read all the threads and see a lot of the same issue, but different answers on most of them.

If you can help me with this problem I would be most grateful otherwise I feel I will have to junk this car.

Hate to do that because everything else is immaculate.

thanks,
Dillon

tempfixit
11-17-2009, 06:45 PM
WHich engine??

Has the coil pack been tested??

BandVinodotcom
11-18-2009, 09:43 AM
I tested the coil pack according to the manual, it's ok, I tested the relay, it's ok.

The engine is a 3.5L ES.

Thank you.

Dillon

jpb53
11-18-2009, 10:51 AM
How about the crank sensor? Ck the harness to it real good; start it and wiggle the harness and see what happens. Did you use a factory cam sensor or aftermarket? A lot of aftermarket sensors cause more problems than they are worth.

BandVinodotcom
11-19-2009, 09:52 AM
checked the Crank sensor harness, wiggled it etc. Nothing. When I cranked it this morning right off the bat it sounded like it was about to die, then after a few times it smoothed out. It seems to shut down and give me issues when it's hot. I used an autozone cam sensor. Also, I just reached in and cranked it without giving it any gas this morning and it cranked right up.

I'm clueless when it comes to vehicles.

I have had a shop do computer diagnostics on the car and they come up with nothing.

Anything else?

Thanks,
Dillon

BandVinodotcom
12-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Here's an update with the solution. Jpb53 was correct. It was the crank position sensor. I wiggled the wrong harness by the way. As soon as it did the issue again I tried the code thing, got the code about the crank position sensor. Just finished replacing it and drove it for a solid 2 hours around town, if I stopped I left it running, runs like a dream again. Even shifts better. I still have a slight sound in the area of the crankshaft position sensor that sounds similar to a lifter tapping or a rod knocking, it was a lot louder when I first cranked it after installation, however it has quieted somewhat. Still runs great now. Thanks for your help.

mimzie
05-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Will try this out

rup36301
06-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Try taking off the positive terminal for about five min. this way you clear the codes in the brain(its best to let a tech clear them). the car is still got that code stored. so it will run a little like before.

Add your comment to this topic!