Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Windstar The dash shutts off !

kgbrown72
11-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Hello everyone!

Here is a good one for ya. More often than not lately the dash shutts off. I mean no..dash lights, no tach, no speedo, no fan (heat a/c), no turn signals, no pwr locks, no pwr windows. But... I do have headlights and brake lights. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kevin

Selectron
11-17-2009, 12:43 PM
That's the 2002, eh, and I assume it's the 3.8L. I don't see any obvious common factor in the power distribution diagrams, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was being caused by a leaking brake pressure switch, which I believe is fitted on the lower front of the master cylinder, so take a look at that to see if it's leaking brake fluid.

Usually it would blow fuse #10 in the passenger compartment fuse panel, but your fuse must still be intact if the circuits still sometimes work normally. If brake fluid has leaked into the harness though, that might just be causing your symptoms.

serge_saati
11-17-2009, 09:30 PM
But the car start and run, right?

Check the wiring at the power distribution box. With the car in ON position, check voltage anywhere until you find the break. Check also voltage in fuse panel, at each fuse you should have 12V when the corresponding device is turning on.

tomj76
11-18-2009, 12:02 AM
I've checked my copy of the Ford Electrical and Vacuum Trouble Shooting Manual...

The Analog Instrument Cluster is powered through I/P fuse 14 (5 Amp), which is in turn powered through the Ignition switch (Pin I1). The power is applied to pin 15 anytime the switch is in the "run" or "start" position. The switch is powered at pin B5, which comes from engine compartment fuse D (60 Amp). There is a connector (C101) and a splice between the Engine compartment fuse and the ignition switch.

There are several grounds used to complete the circuits, with different grounds for different parts of the instrument cluster.

The illumination lamps are powered from a separate path, which starts with engine compartment fuse K (60A), passes to I/P fuse 11 (15A) through connector C101, passes through the main light switch (pins B2 & R), then through I/P fuse 3 (5A).

The power door locks get power from engine compartment fuse J (60 A), which passes through C101, to the I/P fuse panel, through fuse 37 (20 A), then to the power door lock circuits.

The front power windows are a bit more complex, but the main power sources from engine compartment fuse J (60A), then to the I/P fuse panel, through a relay, and to the motors and controls through fuses 34 (30A) and 40 (30A).

The rear power windows start with engine compartment fuse D, then through the ignition switch, to the I/P fuse panel, through fuse 6 (15A), then to the rear window motors and controls.

It's only a guess, but I think your problem is in the engine compartment fuse panel or the wires that feed it.

kgbrown72
11-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Thank you to everyone giving their suggestions, but I think I got it. Last night I was checking all the fuses and came across one that was questionable but looked ok. I replaced it and PRESTO everything has been working well ever since. It was #28 inner fuse panel.

Add your comment to this topic!